↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Lanky & clanky transmission, snatchy take up...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
a13x

United Kingdom 
Car now back with me and despite it being washed after I asked it not to be resulting in fine scratches all over and a few other marks that weren't there before, the car is completely transformed.

Although the couple of minor issues above I wouldn't hesitate in using them again. LR Sturgess Leicester was the dealership, they are also site sponsors on here.
Post #336255 6th Jun 2014 9:17pm
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
What have they done to improve things?
Post #336297 6th Jun 2014 11:38pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
a13x wrote:

Although the couple of minor issues above I wouldn't hesitate in using them again

I would not be in a great rush to take mine back there based on previous experience: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic25274.html

Loose propshaft bolts were one of many things that my local dealership put right at Sturgess' expense.
Post #336364 7th Jun 2014 12:04pm
a13x

United Kingdom 
Not good. Problem for me is that a bad experience is almost a given at a LR dealer. The nearest is Derby who damaged the RR when it went in, admitted but then continually ignored attempts to rectify. In the end it wasn't worth the hassle in taking further action.

Stratstone Nottingham became quite comical. I would take 1 car in for warranty work, few days/week later take another in collecting the first and continue this with both cars almost none stop. Each time for the same faults and each time after being assured now rectified, find that they haven't sorted anything at all. The bit that made it less amusing was the 3hr round trip each time. No compensation for fuel, mileage and wasted time ever offered.

However for me atleast, Sturgess kept me informed throughout, diagnosed and appears to have sorted the last few issues. I take some responsibility for their valet putting the swirls and scratches in as I forgot for a few days to ask for it to not be washed.

Overall, can honestly say I have never experienced such poor service from a brand with a reluctance to resolve ongoing issues, that is with LR themselves and not the last dealer used. However I believe some of this is with the antiquated Defender itself and not the up to date technology used in production of modern cars. If it wasn't for being such an iconic car, could quickly get tired of it and purchase a D4 instead.
Post #336369 7th Jun 2014 12:58pm
cinstone

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Thanks for the update.

Not sure what to do/where to go now. Premature wear of drive flanges and duff clutches, if this is indeed the problem, has nothing to do with modern technical lecky bits, or the Defender being "antiquated". It's crap parts. I bet my 1964 Series IIa is still on its original drive shafts.

LR's stance is the same on the pogoing issue, and the dealer, Guy Salmon Knutsford, for every fault fixed under warranty, it comes back with at least one that wasn't there when it went in!

I'm currently assessing mine over the next week or so before deciding what to do next. However, this is my last new(ish) LR, approx' one year before I intended it to be. And it's quite a loss to Land Rover as my last one was to be an XS SW 90 with just about all the available bits and bobs slapped on it, in a sort of last hurrah. But this doesn't bother Land Rover of course. They just want to sell things like Evoques. And they ain't no brilliant car either, after having the use of one for 61 days/3000 miles or so.

Rant over. For now Wink.

Chris. http://shropshirelandrovers.freeforums.org

2015 Defender 90 XS SW & Helen, 1964 IIa. Previously 2012 Defender 90 XS SW & 2008 90 XS SW.

Previous LR's: Michael, my 2008 Defender 90 XS SW.

Machinas oportet intrare non capsicum annuum faveo
Post #336539 8th Jun 2014 6:48am
defendercorner

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Chawton White
Hi,

Thought I'd try to resurrect this thread. Had my MY12 2.2 for a few months now and get the slow speed pogo thing and clunky/snatchy gear change.

Took it to Likes in Brecon for 24k service and to fix oil leak on bell housing & mentioned the pogoing.

They changed the rear crankshaft oil seal and while in there fitted a new clutch kit as they found the spring/s were broken.

On drive home I was made up with difference in gear change, smooth & quiet. Only problem was the oil leak was still there Sad

Likes came to collect and after taking a look diagnosed as the oil seal that they changed was defective. Changed seal again and leak now seems to have gone.

However the gear change is now back to clunky/snatchy old self Sad

I've spoken to Likes and explained how much better it was and how it's gone worse again. Explanation was maybe improvement was when clutch plate "bedding in" and hence now back to old self.

Seems odd to me. Any ideas?

Cinstone, Did you ever get yours sorted?

Thanks,

Tony 2015 90 2.2 XS Hard Top
2012 110 2.2 XS DC
2003 110 TD5 County DC (now sold)
Post #361185 30th Sep 2014 7:54am
rover

United Kingdom 
Afetr reading this thread I am afraid it has made me feel slightly better about my own 2.2. Its jerky,juddery,very poor gear change, no torque at low revs and best of all Land Rover can't or more likely won't fix the problem. Looks like I am not suffering alone.

Very occaisonaly the car actually drives Ok this would indicate to me thats its an electrical/sensor/ECU problem.

Has any one managed to solve these problems. Remap maybe?
Post #361223 30th Sep 2014 12:33pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I had this, or at least a version of it. Stumbling in first, occasional pogoing, need to try and get high revs in low gears to get any pull at all.

Had a BAS remap - all of these symptoms gone, it is now a pleasure to drive and pulls away with loads of torque from quite low revs.
Post #361229 30th Sep 2014 1:13pm
defendercorner

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Well mine is booked back in next Thursday for Likes to take another look. The service manager is going to take it for a drive and see what he thinks. He's been very helpful so far so let's hope he agrees it isn't right.

My main thing I'm confused about is why it was so much better when clutch kit 1st put in but then reverted back to its old self when oil seal was changed again? Maybe they didn't bleed the clutch correctly?

Any ideas very welcome.

Thanks,

2012 110 2.2 XS DC
Post #361963 3rd Oct 2014 5:55pm
defendercorner

Hi,

Just thought i'd update on my posts above in case it helps anyone else.

Had an excellent service from Likes in Brecon, Terry the After Sales Manager is particularly helpful.

After its visit around a week ago the gearchange has improved enormously. Apparently they did manage to bleed the clutch a little so that must have helped and also there is an adjustment on the clutch which they used to raise the biting point on the peddle a little.

End result is that the gear change is much improved and i'm very happy Smile

Bonus is that Likes fitted my Mantec RAI as a goodwill gesture and gave me 10% off the adjustable tow bar i needed Smile

Cheers,

2012 110 2.2 XS DC
Post #366399 22nd Oct 2014 11:28am
Smurph

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
My 2012 110 has the same pogoing characteristic at low speed. It seems that where you want and need the most control you have least!

Improved a bit with an " update " of the ECU by the dealer.
Post #366593 23rd Oct 2014 9:24am
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
I get the pogoing in second on occasion and the only fix for me is not having a constant throttle, generally giving it a bit more works as it usually manifests itself going round a 2nd gear corner.

The only way I can get round the clanking gear changes is to think along the lines of only ever touching the clutch or throttle, never both at the same time so no trying to feed throttle while engaging clutch. Gear changes are then as smooth as you like albeit maybe not as speedy.
Post #366633 23rd Oct 2014 2:08pm
johnbain

United Kingdom 
ive had similar and have had so many dealer visits last one got me complete clutch assembly plus an out put shaft dealer says if i return with any more problems relating to this i might need a new gearbox want my 300tdi back which is annoying as ive spent a bit on upgrades Range rover td6
defender2 xtech
Post #367559 27th Oct 2014 7:01pm
def_fid

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Stornoway Grey
Inigo wrote:
I had this, or at least a version of it. Stumbling in first, occasional pogoing, need to try and get high revs in low gears to get any pull at all.

Had a BAS remap - all of these symptoms gone, it is now a pleasure to drive and pulls away with loads of torque from quite low revs.

I had the same pogoing, cured by a BAS remap. Clunky drivetrain is normal for a Defender, but does seem worse onmy 2.2 than my old 300 tdi.
Post #368261 30th Oct 2014 1:25pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I had my clutch and clunk addressed by Guy Salmon and have just had the paperwork these are they replaced

LLR048731 KIT CLUTCH £217
LLR004390 SLEEVE £37
LLR052128 CYLINDER CLUTCH £66
LIYX500050 RING £11
LKR0500330 SHIELD £30
LLR033026 FLYWHEEL £355
LTUD500020 SHAFT FRONT £43
LLR030054 FLANGE DRIVE £52
LLR006096 BOLT SPECIAL £7
LNY606042 LOCKNUT X12 21P
L571752 GASKET

So it appears it was my gearbox to transfer box shaft that had the play

after about 500 miles the clunk and rattle have not yet come back DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #416472 15th Apr 2015 7:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>