↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Stage 1 - Alive Tuning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tank

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zermatt Silver
Stage 1 - Alive Tuning
Staying up in the sticks, not really but it feels like it ! (Edinburgh is only 20 miles away) I don't fancy doing the 5 hr drive down to Alive to get the 90 "tuned"

Spoke to Gary at Alive, top bloke by the way very friendly and helpful, and think I am going to go for the Stage 1 at the moment.

My question is, has anyone here done it by post ! ! You send the ECU to Alive, they do the bizz and send it back. Plug and play ! ! Just wondered if anyone else had done that or have most peeps go to the Alive premises ?

Cheers

Duncan
Post #360268 26th Sep 2014 12:07pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Had my last couple done at shows. Not by post sorry

Andy
Post #360290 26th Sep 2014 1:36pm
I.AM_a driver

Scotland 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
I don't think I'd be comfortable sending my ECU via post, for two reasons. Firsly I'd be concerned it was lost or damaged in transit, rendering the Defender a driveway ornament until you could get another one & have it coded. Secondly, from what I read about the tuning companies, they will usually tune the ECU then test the driveability and can iron out any tweaks necessary there & then, which is difficult if the vehicle belonging to said ECU is 2-300 miles away.

I've not gone down the tuning route, but I have considered it and this was my thought process for rejecting it. Mark S
CONVOY for HEROES
www.facebook.com/convoy4heroes
www.lothian4x4response.org
------
Td5 90
Thread in 'My Defender' Forum
Post #360386 26th Sep 2014 8:41pm
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
I've used Gary for tuning and I'd have no hesitation in sending my ecu in the post as long as it was well wrapped.
I'm about an hour and a half away so I visited his workshop but I'm sure it'd be fine. We took mine for a test drive twice and made sure I was happy. He also did my mates while I was there, I took his ecu with me and explained what he wanted and that's what he got - exactly as he asked.
As long as you write down what type of power improvement you want and where you'd like the power (low down torque etc) and if you've got any mods, ie EGR removed, what exhaust etc then I'm sure he'd be able to do exactly what you wanted, no problem. It was ideal for my mate, he gave me his ecu at 8am, I had it back for 3pm and he was smiling by 3.15pm!
Post #360458 27th Sep 2014 9:35am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Between actually sending the ECU itself or downloading the files and sending them by e-mail whilst still keeping the vehicle on the road?

.........I'll let you decide!..... Whistle

Whilst this debate has gone on before and can be emotive as naturally each tuning provider and their followers will all profess to have the best product, shop around as there is more than one and you may be pleasantly surprised and find something more suited to your needs and circumstances perhaps?

Two main ones spring to mind, we all know who they are and BOTH provide excellent service and products. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #360461 27th Sep 2014 9:57am
Columbus

Scotland 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Alveston Red
Lix toll advertise alive tuning as one of their abilities

http://www.lixtoll.com/alive-tuning/
Post #360913 29th Sep 2014 12:36am
Tank

KF9, who are the others ?
Post #360918 29th Sep 2014 7:55am
K9F

There are three main ones, whilst all three undoubtedly have their own followers who will all fervently state that theirs is the best, it is best to ring round and see what they all can provide best suited to your needs.

Using the sponsors link in the title banner is a good start. Two can be found there. Doing a search under remaps will find many more. You must decide what is best.

PM sent. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #360924 29th Sep 2014 8:41am
Tank

Cheers Thumbs Up
Post #360942 29th Sep 2014 11:13am
Lambley

K9F wrote:
whilst all three undoubtedly have their own followers who will all fervently state that theirs is the best....

I wasn't advocating or recommending any particular tuner, just that I'd not have a problem in sending my ecu through the post and getting it tuned remotely, it's done all the time. As long as you inform them of what kind of power you'd like and what your objectives are then I don't think you'd be disappointed.
Post #361129 29th Sep 2014 10:01pm
K9F

Lambley I wasn't implying anything and apologies if that was what you thought. Bow down

Whilst I too have a remap I think with historical 'spats' between tuning providers (ancient history) and owners of their products it's just best to advise to shop around and find out what's best for themselves rather than recommend a particular product or provider perhaps?

With regards to sending ECUs I think especially as 2.2 ones are so cheap to buy a second, have it programmed then send one away whilst keeping your truck mobile would be the prudent thing to do personally. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #361133 29th Sep 2014 10:10pm
Lambley

^^^ None taken, honestly. Smile

I've got no allegiance or connection to any tuners, but Gary has been very very helpful in the past, but I take your point, everyone has got their thoughts on what's best.
Post #361212 30th Sep 2014 11:09am
Lorryman100

I am on the west coast near Glasgow and took a run down to Alive to get the inter cooler and exhaust plus new remap to take account of the mods. Well worth the trip especially now what with Gary having a rolling road. Thumbs Up as K9F has said, have a look and make up your own mind. That way it stops a pi**ing match on the forum. Whistle Thumbs Up
Post #361356 1st Oct 2014 12:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tank

Thanks for all the advice !

This is almost as bad as the arguments on the ukgser.com forum about the hex head and the water cooled GS Rolling with laughter
Post #361381 1st Oct 2014 10:49am
K9F

No arguments here. Just sound advice. The bunfighting, throwing teddies out of cots and the spitting out of dummies were all carried out a few years ago now! Thankfully history. Peace now reigns across the tuning fraternity.

Only you yourself can decide what is best for you and your circumstances. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #361387 1st Oct 2014 11:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>