Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Defender 130 warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
chadjizz

England 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Orkney Grey
Defender 130 warranty
Dear Land Rover

I brought my 130 new 2 years ago. I have had the usual problems like leaky foot wells and bulkhead, indicator relays packing up etc. Everyone knows you get these teething problems when you buy a Defender. I brought mine to be a works vehicle, opted to buy new so that reliability and down time would be at a minimum. One of the bits of warranty work that has been done is replacing the pop-rivets (which hold the bracket for the stop cables on to the rear tailgate) because they came lose within the first few months and the tailgate would not shut!

Correct me if I am wrong, the 130 hicap is a commercial vehicle, to me that means work related. By no means do I abuse my 130 (Alfie) because it is my money invested. I am a landscaper and fencing contractor so the pick-up is mainly used for tools, I have trailers for bulk and heavy items.

To get tools out I often jump up on to the tailgate and into the pickup bed to get items out because a lot of the space is unreachable from leaning in/over. A few months ago I jumped up onto the tailgate and the pop-rivets on one side of the tailgate snapped, thus resulting in me falling flat on my face but more annoyingly bending the tailgate and hinges because the other side had remained supported. I am only 80kg, so no massive weight. I thought tailgates were also a perfect place to sit and eat lunch on.....

I took Alfie to my local dealer (Caffyns Lewes) and flagged the problem. They acknowledged the fault and understood the problem so contacted Land Rover to initiate the warranty work. Land Rover asked for some photos of the damage etc, so Caffyns sent some over.

Now this is the ridiculous bit, Land Rover proceeded to inform Caffyns that because the photo's showed there where footprints inside the pickup bed, it’s clear that I have got onto the tailgate to get inside/onto the pick up bed (something I always told Caffyns in the first place) and this is something they do not advise/recommend. They said they would repair the drop down stays/brackets/pop-rivets and the hinges for the tailgate but not the damage to the tailgate.... this clearly annoyed me.

Have I brought a vehicle that isn't fit for work but hides under the "commercial vehicle" status... My 130 is rated to 3380kg gross (stated on the V5), is that a big lie? Should I be looking to get a Hilux, Ranger or Isuzu for my next work vehicle? Am I going to have to take the bill for repairs to the tailgate?

What annoys me EVEN more is Land Rover have me by my balls... My love for the Defender means I have just brought a 90xs for a family car too!
Post #359056 20th Sep 2014 12:07pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Dig your heels in Chap call Land Rover Customer Care Thumbs Up

I have a spare tail gate in blue if you get stuck.
Post #359060 20th Sep 2014 12:24pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Hi-cap tubs went downhill years back when they removed two of the 5 hinges, (thus resulting in just 3 hinges for that huge tailgate)....

penny pinching by the bean counters, tough luck for the actual end vehicle users.

It just goes to show how little interest LR now have in the utility side of life... far better to p!ss off the vehicle owners so they go and buy a different make, and leave LR alone to produce more bland rovers of the evoque/freelander/RRsport type thing.
Post #359144 20th Sep 2014 10:38pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Welcome to the club just keep at them don't take no for an answer Thumbs Up
Post #359271 21st Sep 2014 7:41pm
chadjizz

England 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Orkney Grey
thanks for the comments guys, and thank you Andrew for the offer. I will let you know how I get on. I have been pestering my local dealer more than Land Rover customer care so i will try them tomorrow.
Post #359545 22nd Sep 2014 8:32pm
SGH

United Kingdom 
Get them to buy you my tailgate it's the right colour Wink
Post #359587 22nd Sep 2014 10:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1