↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Second pair of speakers in a DC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kipperthedog

United Kingdom 
Second pair of speakers in a DC
I am Thinking about a second pair of speakers in my 110 DC, mainly because the roof lining requires attention (again) so I was thinking that it would be a good opportunity to fit some there. BUT I am wondering if they might be a bit close for rear passenger comfort (Though HU allows 1 pair to be lower volume than the other.) And I am wondering if I put them up there where looks and sounds best.

I don't want to put them in the doors, but had thought about shelf mount types under the rear seat, though this is prob worse than the downward pointing ones in the dash.

I'd be interested to see hear what you might have done. This is a simple adding a pair of 4 or 5" jobbies to spread a bit more sound around on a budget, not a boutique install. I am not adding sound proofing subs or anything else.
Post #359121 20th Sep 2014 8:20pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Perhaps you could try some 6x9's ideally lower frequency ones, that way you'll get later bass tones and not high pitches.
Would be better for rear passengers and as you say you can adjust the fade.
You get a bit of an upgrade then too.
Just an idea.
Post #359122 20th Sep 2014 8:26pm
kipperthedog

United Kingdom 
Ah Ha! A mooch around the local breakers yard for 5 minutes yielded an interesting find. Well, interesting for a tight-wad like myself. MG ZRs (and S's prob.) have 2" passive tweeters in the doors. Cheapie cheapie but an little upgrade for next to nowt! (Bear in mind I have fitted a recycled HU too so my ICE pedigree is a bit questionable....). I just need to bite the bullet and make holes now.

I think I am moving more toward speakers in the rear cab corners now rather than the head lining, and I have some bits and bobs of MDF, so I think I'll route the cables that way and await the discovery of some recycled 4-5" speakers and maybe a second pair of ex MG tweeters!!

I am easily pleased.......
Post #359780 23rd Sep 2014 7:56pm
kharnsflair

Click image to enlarge

Free air sub and a pair of 6x9s in the DC. Pretty good compromise, unobtrusive, and much better than having nothing in the back. No comparison with the ones in the dash - this comes through clear into the front. I have upgraded to 4" one's in the dash with directional ones but they are still useless.

I reckon this 6x9 setup with tweeters in the front would be about right for most people and you can leave the cab as standard.

P.S. A free air sub won't get close to a proper boxed one, but is better than nothing. Don't get these Edge (orange) speakers, they are rubbish, I took out some decent Pioneer speakers for these and am very disappointed. When I get around to it I will put the Pioneers back in.
Post #360891 28th Sep 2014 9:40pm
kipperthedog

United Kingdom 
Hmmmm thanks, going to give under the seats some thought. I will see what speakers I can salvage and make some mdf housings (boxes!) I think.

I have ruled headlining right out, and under the seats might be a better bet than half buried behind the back seats, though an audit of the clutter under there might be required!
Post #361079 29th Sep 2014 8:22pm
kipperthedog

United Kingdom 
I decided that the void beside/behind the rear seats was the best bet. The location I found on Ben_J85JTY's thread on another forum , I am not sure if he is on here....

So templates made....

Click image to enlarge

And panels cut and first coated mat black....

Click image to enlarge

I will try and finish and fit over the weekend, though I don't think they'll get connected up.
Post #365257 17th Oct 2014 5:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1