↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > HUGE Pay Rise.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
HUGE Pay Rise.
Today being the 01 September and after nearly 12 years my CSA obligation ceases. Quick phonecall to Child Benefit and CSA confimed 'Case Closed.' As a result I effectively have had a huge pay rise. Now what to spend it on? Think on reflection as I've effectively never had it, just plough it off the mortgage would be the prudent thing to do.

Thought I'd share my fortune and wish all those that are paying it all the very best. Your time will come too!

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #354928 1st Sep 2014 12:48pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Chap I work with had his finish, but they continued to take the money as he did not cancel direct debit. He is now trying to get nine months of payment back.

Andy
Post #354930 1st Sep 2014 12:59pm
K9F

Best of luck to him, I cancelled mine and then made the relevant approaches to the departments. I doubt he'll get it back personally. He must have had the same arrangement as me a 'family one' where he had control of the payments and they not be deducted at source. 'Forgetting' is unforgivable really as they weren't taking it....he was giving it......

Believe you me, the CSA and Child Benefit Departments do NOT have the resources to investigate each and every claimant's entitlement. I personally have found the CSA very helpful at every stage of my queries and they are best placed to contact the CHB people as they are a nightmare to contact yourself. I have been on top of this recently.

A scenario for those that may be interested, taking into account CSA is governed by the entitlement to Child Benefit, get the latter you get the first........

A parent is in receipt of Child Benefit and as a result gets several hundred pounds of CSA to accompany this each and every month adding up to a sustantial sum. Circumstances change whereupon the parent is really no longer entitled. Does that parent duly notify the relevant agencies stating "Please stop paying me the substantial sum as I am no longer entitled?"

They should do I know! But we are in the real World here! The best bit is still to come.....

It also amazes me that with recent changes and under the right circumstances your 'child' could be nearly 20 years of age, walking up the aisle getting married and you could still be paying CSA. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #354933 1st Sep 2014 1:14pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
well done, I used to pay £lots per month to the CSA, when she subsequently abandoned the kids and stopped seeing them I got naff all out of her for the 10 years they were with me DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #354950 1st Sep 2014 5:23pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
nice one Mal. save it up
Post #354951 1st Sep 2014 5:26pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Move to Somerset. Rolling with laughter
Post #354952 1st Sep 2014 5:35pm
K9F

Steve, that did "make I larf!" Rolling with laughter

Having not had it.... motgage it is! Life has obviously moved on since and with an 8 year old and 23 year old in residence (both mine) I need now to do a little nest feathering closer to home! Interest saved will outweigh stashing it or blowing it on something I don't need. It'll hopefully bring retirement a little closer too. Thank you for your wishes.......

Somerset..... Rolling with laughter That's where my funds were headed, probably have a house there I paid for already. Shocked If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #354953 1st Sep 2014 5:43pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Bath you'll probably need 750k plus.... Rolling Eyes
Post #354954 1st Sep 2014 6:05pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I'm hoping to be contacted by the csa to say I'm getting some money soon, because last time I contacted them my ex decided to go back into education after two payments but she has now finished the course and has started work Whistle
Post #354974 1st Sep 2014 7:21pm
newhue

Australia 
plough it off the mortgage, you will experience real freedom and joy when that bad boy is gone. Well so I'm told. My Defender and travels
Post #354988 1st Sep 2014 8:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
yep 5 years and counting....
Post #354998 1st Sep 2014 8:50pm
110MGD

2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Can't WAIT to be mortgage free not long now 2001 Td5 CSW (weekend and snow mobile) Plenty of lights, M/T tyres EGR delete, roofrack, swing away wheel carrier, snorkel.
2016 E220 CDI Night Edition Estate
2014 VW UP!
2x D3 and 1x D4 GONE
Post #355040 1st Sep 2014 11:11pm
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I've tried writing this post a number of times so not to sound preachy.

You used the work obligation with regard to the payments. Do your kids need no help from you now suddenly? Maybe it is that the amount was unfair. www.td5.org
Post #355054 2nd Sep 2014 6:57am
K9F

No worries me@td5 I understand exactly where you are coming from.

I have always been a believer and advocator of the following:-

You should give your children enough money to do something.....
NOT enough to do nothing!

Without going into too much detail the money I used to pay I sincerely doubted that it was being spent on what it's true intention was for, as a result of this yes I did deem it as an 'obligation!' No doubt many absent parents paying will think this perhaps? The 'child' in question is over 19 years of age, has a part time job and attends college (or will be from this month) for 10 hours per week doing an HND. As my partner pointed out she was married at that age and in the military, I had also gone into the military and had served over two years. Time I think for that 'child' to stand on his/her own two feet, earn a crust and see the way of the World. The sudden shortfall of income in that household will be in my opinion good 'character building stuff' and the 'child' will undoubtedly have to start contributing to their own upkeep. Not a bad thing in my book!

Bank of Dad is temporarily closed for refurbishment and reinvestment!!! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #355083 2nd Sep 2014 9:13am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Bow down
Similarly, we give our teenage (and older) kids everything they need and a little of what they want. They appreciate that.
On a slightly different note, we also preach "It may not be your fault but it's still your problem". That's amazingly good at stopping stupid excuses Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #355084 2nd Sep 2014 9:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>