↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Clutch, help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
There is a flywheel though as I have been told, might need to be replaced too but will be inspected.
Price I've been given so far is £800 which is a lot, not cheap I know but on the whole I'm a lot more pleased about than £1400 or more.
That price is exc the flywheel though but as mentioned might be worth changing too.
I will also bear in mind the output shaft splines and mention it.
On the whole so far really impressed with LR, I'm hoping for a courtesy vehicle right now but there isnt one available which is tricky.
I've mentioned though I've got no other transport so will see what happens.
As I said quite happy so far on the whole.

Will keep you posted.
Post #352711 20th Aug 2014 12:46pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Puma? DMF? Sounds a bit like the mechanic who told me he’d replace as a precaution the belt driving the cams on my Sunday car: they’re chain-driven! No, I don’t use that garage any more…

Yeah, Blackwolf’s about right with his diagnoses and costings, the workshop sheet for mine reads “Clutch pressure plate found to be at fault, springs broken, replaced clutch kit. Also found output shaft transfer box to have splines flattened off, replaced shaft + flange”

The dealer did everything necessary under warranty (a day under three years, 35000 miles) but had warned me that if it were just “normal wear and tear” their charge would be twelve hundred quid. Horses for courses, I’ve always been lucky the main dealer, but this is an occasion where a good indie comes into his own (luckily I’ve got one locally, he even races Landies).

Peter
Post #352712 20th Aug 2014 12:51pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I don't think I ever had any clutch springs issues because there was no rattle or noise, just wear and tear in my case.
Post #352715 20th Aug 2014 1:18pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The point, as Russ says, is that the Puma doesn't have a DMF (even though the Transit does).

I would not be at all keen to take my Defender to a dealer who doesn't know this.

It is is interesting to reflect on the fact that the TD5 has a DMF and solid driven plate, which is the cause of big bills and frequent clutch judder. LR obviously realised that a DMF isn't great for a LR and so engineered it out from the TDCi installation. It is a shame that they'd forgotten how to make driven plates in the meantime!
Post #352737 20th Aug 2014 4:02pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I've not heard anything so far back yet so just seeing what happens.
Trouble is we've only got the Defender as our transport so I'm hoping for a courtesy but they are so busy is the trouble.
Will report back here when I know more.
Post #352757 20th Aug 2014 6:43pm
rustyboxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Montalcino Red
Just got mine back from the garage..........ouch!!

Clutch plate was, as you can see, royally fooked. Luckily the errant spring didn't cause any other damage.

Click image to enlarge

So, new plate, pressure plate and a couple of other bits later all is good now.

The painful bit was the bill. Now I did have a decat pipe fitted that needed a slight adaptation and obviously labour as they are a pain to get off. Even so, I reckon without the extra bits the bill still would have been around £700. Better than LR prices anyway.

Click image to enlarge

Steve, hopefully that you give enough for a comparison when you get yours sorted Thumbs Up 2015 90 XS CSW TDCi - Beautiful
2007 110 XS DCPU - An itch that needed scratching
2005 90 Td5 XS CSW - Utterly brilliant
2001 Discovery 2 ES Auto - A phase I went through
1996 90 Tdi CSW - Uber reliable
1989 90 2.5 Petrol Hardtop - My first proper Landy
1985 Range Rover Vogue V8 -Troublesome
Post #352893 21st Aug 2014 1:34pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Cheers bud. Thumbs Up still not heard back yet, I really need a courtesy car right now because I'm stranded. Shocked
No other vehicle see, but I've explained all of this so just waiting. Confused
Post #352909 21st Aug 2014 2:34pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The downpipe and cat needs to be removed anyway in order to remove the gearbox to access the clutch, at least in theory. I left mine in situ but to do so meant removing the transfer box from the gearbox and then just shifting the box backwards to access the clutch. It would with hindsight have been easier to remove the pipe especially had I not wanted to access the output adaptor shaft joint.

Realistically I think that the clutch on a Puma is a service item and needs replacing as a matter of routine every 50k miles irrespective of condition.

I really don't understand why the clutch wasn't designed so that the springs can't actually fall out when they take on a permanent set. It seems to me to be an extraordinarily badly designed driven plate, and I would love to know why it is like this! There must be some technical problem which has resulted in this design, which I cannot see.
Post #352915 21st Aug 2014 2:58pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
"Realistically I think that the clutch on a Puma is a service item and needs replacing as a matter of routine every 50k miles irrespective of condition."
I completely agree, I knew mine would be due soon but not quite this soon.
Hasn't showed too much sign until the other day but I know I need to not touch it or it will fail.
Post #352916 21st Aug 2014 3:00pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Rang Guy Salmon, Bristol, they are chokka with work so looks like I'll be without my 90 for two or three weeks! Shocked Big Cry
All the same, it's going to them tomorrow by recovery truck to avoid driving it and there it will stay.
(Might as well Skytag Geofence it whilst there Whistle )
No curtesy vehicle available either again because they have such a backlog. (They would have if only they could have)
So I've hired a van for a week at least, cost a small fortune but C'est La Vie as they say.
This had to start this two days after I have my father pass away in the night suddenly at just 60. (I'm 22) with various arrangements to make.
Defender is our only vehicle.
But in four and a half years of ownership it's never let me down so I cannot complain.
Post #353193 22nd Aug 2014 9:18pm
munch90

England 
heard yesterday that the very first puma engined defenders had a dual mass flywheel then land rover cost cutting they went to solid

don't think they listed in parts as all the replacement ones are solid
Post #353196 22nd Aug 2014 9:34pm
jimbob7

custom90steve wrote:
Rang Guy Salmon, Bristol, they are chokka with work so looks like I'll be without my 90 for two or three weeks! Shocked Big Cry
All the same, it's going to them tomorrow by recovery truck to avoid driving it and there it will stay.
(Might as well Skytag Geofence it whilst there Whistle )
No curtesy vehicle available either again because they have such a backlog. (They would have if only they could have)
So I've hired a van for a week at least, cost a small fortune but C'est La Vie as they say.
This had to start this two days after I have my father pass away in the night suddenly at just 60. (I'm 22) with various arrangements to make.
Defender is our only vehicle.
But in four and a half years of ownership it's never let me down so I cannot complain.

2-3 weeks,thats disgustin,too busy prepping new Rangies and Evoques I bet,also my sympathies for your father. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #353244 23rd Aug 2014 8:26am
custom90

United Kingdom 
That's it alright, but when I booked the service a week or two ago they said they have a backlog.
It's due to the govt school holiday rules I swear, same for my business. Rolling Eyes
Post #353245 23rd Aug 2014 8:51am
custom90

United Kingdom 
She's (my 90) just gone off on a flat bed truck to the dealer.
Made the decision because I know it will go, and it's not sensible to drive it in that condition.
Post #353256 23rd Aug 2014 10:02am
munch90

England 
why are you taking it to a dealer , takes longer and more expensive

do you not know a independent who could do it quicker
Post #353278 23rd Aug 2014 1:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>