↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Fitting a double din stereo...some key steps to help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mazzaman32

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Fitting a double din stereo...some key steps to help
Hi,

This is my first ever post so apologies for the lack of 'proper' terminology regarding all things Defender.

After driving new Mercs for the last 10 yrs it was finally time to do what my heart, not my head, wanted - get a Defender. No looking back.

Like us all, the bug has got to me and I've started to play around. Whilst I don't miss mercs, I do miss knowing where to go when visiting new places thus a SAT NAV option was required.

The solution I preferred was an Alpine unit (with DAB/SAT NAV/BLUETOOTH etc). The point of my post is not to start a debate about what's better e.g. stick on window SAT NAV / motorised double din unit etc. This is purely to to let others know who are interested in doing this - you can, it's pretty straight forward, have faith! 4hrs for fitting....just because it requires some love and care.

Key tools/supplies required are:

1. standard radio removal tool
2. hex set
3. wire clippers / wire connectors (the length of some of the wires MAY need increasing) / wire
4. New blade in a Stanley knife or a new and fine hand saw
5. New fascia kit (including the side panel to mount some of the switches)
6. Double din unit
7. Care and attention
8. A separate radio playing to get you through the process
9. Your loving partner to be out so she/he isn't asking you 'what's taking so long?'

Obviously happy to go into more detail, but key steps are....

1. Remove the centre dash fascia. 2 x screws (on display) and I found leveraging the clock area and the middle area alternatively worked a treat. Start to unplug the dash buttons from the rear and label as you go along.

2. With the dash removed you should be left with a nice hole and all wires labelled. Now mask up the area to the right (or left for LHD) as this is what you need to cut out in order to re position some of the existing buttons. I drew around the new panel on a piece of card then cut out 3-5mm inside the line - just to be safe - as it's obviously easier to cut more away from the existing dash vs trying to fill a hole that's too big.

Click image to enlarge

3. Now remove the existing switches from the old panel by pushing them out from the back. The nut from the light leveling switch will need to be removed.

4. Turn the old fascia around and cut away (very carefully) the transparent heating/light indicator. It's held on by glue so take a Stanley and gently scrape the old glue away - along with a small amount of force. The thing to remember here is that you don't want to scratch the top - keep checking by turning the fascia around and looking from the front. Fear not if you do scratch it - just fill the scratch with a permanent marker.

5. Now it's time to cut off the clock and top vents. Using either a Stanley (i did) or fine hand saw cut where the bottom of the vents/clock meet the rest of the fascia. It doesn't need to be 100% perfect as you don't really see the join when it's put back together - but worth taking your time over anyway.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

6. You now need to turn the clock over and cut away the bottom so it won't obstruct the new double din - it was nice finding this out after fixing all the wires back to the new fascia and wondering why the radio wouldn't go in.

Click image to enlarge

7. Now start to fix the old switches into the new fascia - you'll now have to decide which switches you want re positioned to the left/right of the new fascia. Personally I chose to keep the heated seats and hazards at the top. At this point you should also glue the transparent light/heater indicators to the back of the new fascia.

Click image to enlarge

8. Next fit the new brackets which came with your new double din unit - worth checking now if the new unit fits ok.

Click image to enlarge

9. Now back to the main dash.....you've masked the area....you've drawn around a template...now start cutting (with confidence). I'm sure you'll have your own method but I chose to drill around the template I created, then cut the rest out with a Stanley knife to give a smoother finish. Keep checking and offering the new panel up to the hole so you know how close your getting to the exact fit using the knife or a file.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

10. No further pics for this as it's pretty straight forward; extend the switches you want to the right/left of the double din unit using new wire and clip connectors. Attach all the switches (you'll need to offer the new fascia up close to the dash in order for the wires to reach) and (if needed at this stage) fix the new double din unit in place before re attaching the new fascia. Some units can be fitted after the new dash is in place - check before!

11. New unit in place and all switches checked.

I also fitted a mic/DAB aerial/rear camera etc at the same time but thought it would be worth sharing the basic
procedure with you...considering how much I've already learnt from others on the forum!

Worth noting...I upgraded the original speakers first with 4" K2 Focals all round....no difference in sound quality (just for those of you who maybe thinking of this route). Then upgraded the headunit.....fantastic difference. Then added the sub (Alpine on the back of the cubby)...incredible difference. I know there are far better/greater set ups that I've seen on the forum - it won't win sound shows but it's as good as I wanted.

Hope it helps someone out there.
Post #352512 19th Aug 2014 2:16pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Looks very neat, well done. Thumbs Up
I'd go double DIN too one day but not a priority really to me. I'm running a 7" flip out right now.
Works just as well but not quite as neat and factory looking.
Post #352523 19th Aug 2014 3:12pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Nice one, well done Thumbs Up I am just about to tackle this job in the 130 so this is a very timely post Thumbs Up
Post #352532 19th Aug 2014 3:37pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Excellent write up Thumbs Up

For those that don't want to cut their dash, we offer a cubby that will accommodate the switches that have to be relocated

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

We also have a stock of 'take off' centre dash panels if you want to retain your original to refit at some time

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #352536 19th Aug 2014 3:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
How much are they Matt?
Post #352537 19th Aug 2014 3:53pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Post #352538 19th Aug 2014 3:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mazzaman32

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
hmmm, how do I now go about filling the dash so I can get that great looking cubby Laughing

will be in touch re the cubby (not with the switch cut outs) as I'm fed up driving with my left shoulder 4" lower than my right Thumbs Up
Post #352548 19th Aug 2014 4:44pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Thank you Bow down
Post #352553 19th Aug 2014 5:07pm
nicks

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
how do you order just the padded cubby box lid, its shown with description and price but no buy it button.
Post #352729 20th Aug 2014 3:21pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Hi Nick,

The 'Add to cart' button is underneath the item in the main 'bulk' of products - between the column shroud and gear levers

http://www.farrowsclassics.co.uk/fcx-LEATHER-for-DEFENDER.html
Post #352730 20th Aug 2014 3:25pm
nicks

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
perfect, found it thanks.
Post #352732 20th Aug 2014 3:28pm
kalith29

India 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Hi

Is the top old panel & bottom new panel joined back together? Or kept separate?
Post #353167 22nd Aug 2014 6:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1