↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > A-Plan Insurance > Good service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dave T

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
Good service
It is that time of year again when you spend hours on the phone to insurance companies so I thought I would give A Plan a try, and to be honest, after trying another broker who did a very good price, I didn't hold out much hope.

How wrong I was, I started off originally with Adrian Flux, then went to Lancaster when I put my Galvanised Chassis on, and now A Plan are coming in £80 cheaper than Lancaster at £179, fully comp, protected, legal expenses cover with loads of mods, chassis, winch, snorkel, tyres, stereo, winch. Just remeber to mention this forum any any LR club membership.

So many thanks to A Plan and especially Rob Neal, they are even £40 cheaper for SWMBOs Golf which is coming up as well, so well worth a try. 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #351515 14th Aug 2014 6:58am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Do you know who the underwriters are? Your cheap insurance may be just that......cheap if you have the misfortune to get the particular underwriter I have in mind who is well documented on here and elsewhere.

Whistle If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #351516 14th Aug 2014 7:16am
Dave T

Yes that is the one, I asked that specific question. We did have quite a chat about them and A Plan have done some investigation work and I believe any problems have been sorted out, time will tell.

To be honest, with the internet these days you could search for everycompany in the country and find someone that has had problems with all of them, especially when it comes to insurance companies and even the supposedly reputable ones, look at the people who have had trouble with Adrian Flux, would you say they are bad as well? 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #351519 14th Aug 2014 7:46am
K9F

Adrian Flux are brokers and the service provided is only as good as the policy and service the underwriter/policy provider provides. The company in question have prolific bad press and pages and pages of complaints reference bad standard of service. Do you think with all the negative information available sticking with that very same provider is the wise thing to do just because it's cheap?

You get what you pay for. My broker was able to provide an alternative provider with a much better reputation for the same price. That's what brokers are supposed to do!

I would be interested to know how A-Plans chat with them have ironed out all their shortcomings? Time will indeed tell but personally I would steer well clear as have many others based on personal experience not hearsay. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 14th Aug 2014 8:48pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #351611 14th Aug 2014 5:57pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Dave T wrote:
especially when it comes to insurance companies

I tend to agree with this. Insurance is a distress purchase, few people will review an insurance company or underwriter when it is not required (no claim) or when everything goes swimmingly.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #351613 14th Aug 2014 6:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

People will also go for the cheapest irrespective of reputation to get themselves a policy to get on the road, the standard of service 'claim time' given little or no due consideration as the chances of claiming are deemed 'negligible.'

You invariably get what you pay for but good service and value for money are achievable with the right broker and adequate information gathering beforehand which need not take much of your time.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #351633 14th Aug 2014 7:40pm
Dave T

Well this was a surprise. Despite A Plans attempts marker study wouldn't do an agreed valuation which combined with poor press I decided against them.

Then Lancaster phoned, asking about my renewal and after some discussion and a reduction in price I decided to stay with them as I had the agreed valuation.

They have just sent me through my documents and on the bottom of the e mail it says "Lancaster Insurance Services Limited is part of the Markerstudy Group of Companies." They also have Zurich amongst their companies as well. Seems there is no getting away from them 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #352469 19th Aug 2014 9:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1