↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > LED bulbs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Sportacourt

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
LED bulbs
Just changed my Puma bulbs over to LED, (great price from Advanced Factors in Southampton), or at least the front side, indicator, stop/ tail lights and the interior lights ( the wife can now see to pluck her eyebrows) but didn't realise that there isn't enough resistance in LED bulbs to make the indicator flash correctly. Now need to fit a Wipac relay (wfl7led) apparently to solve the issue, apparently it's adjustable to get the correct speed. Ironically I had a trailer on when I changed them and everything was fine so would suggest if anybody is thinking about doing same, be aware you may need to adjust if towing, unless you change trailer lights as well.
Post #348715 1st Aug 2014 7:35am
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
A common problem with LED indicators, a conventional method is to add a resistor in parallel with each indicator lamp, usually between 6.2 and 10Ω, (I used 8.2Ω on my Disco 3,) this is to replicate the current draw of a normal 21W filament bulb so that the flasher detects normal current, as such they need to have sufficient current capacity, 25W minimum to prevent overheating.
Post #348718 1st Aug 2014 7:50am
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
I've got a wipac relay and great, doesn't change speed with trailer attached from what I remember.
Post #348727 1st Aug 2014 8:31am
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 V8 Petrol SW Corris Grey
Wipac relay added to our stock profile now!

Offset pin Indicators on the next order Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2760
www.advancedfactors.co.uk
Site Sponsor for Aftermarket Parts
Post #348746 1st Aug 2014 10:23am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jim_Bean

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I had the wipac really but changed it to the RDX one as with the wipac relay you can change the flash speed BUT your trailer lights indicator will flash all the time.

The RDX flasher unit allows you to change the flash speed but also retains the trailer indicator function; i.e. it only flashes when your trailer is connected.

If you really want the Wipac flasher you can have mine for a £10!
Post #348748 1st Aug 2014 10:31am
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Clive wrote:
A common problem with LED indicators, a conventional method is to add a resistor in parallel with each indicator lamp, usually between 6.2 and 10Ω, (I used 8.2Ω on my Disco 3,) this is to replicate the current draw of a normal 21W filament bulb so that the flasher detects normal current, as such they need to have sufficient current capacity, 25W minimum to prevent overheating.

Using resistors you loose one of benefits of LEDs: minimal current draw. If you add e.g. 10 ohm resistors, then there is 4 x (12/10) = 4.8 A ( 57.6 W) more current for side lights and rear lights (4 bulbs)...

I installed the complete RDX LED lamps plus relay. Very satisfying and the relay is adjustable also for the trailer light indicator. Thumbs Up Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #348751 1st Aug 2014 10:54am
Jim_Bean

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
^^^^ Agreed ^^^^

I have complete Wipac set of lights but use the RDX relay. It solves the trailer light issues.
Post #348753 1st Aug 2014 11:01am
custom90

United Kingdom 
All RDX for me but the relay does what it is supposed to. Thumbs Up
Post #348769 1st Aug 2014 12:45pm
Bristol 90XS

England 
Deos the RDX relay also click as the lights flash?

Currently have the mobile centre one and it is solid state and doesn't make a noise... Sometimes forget it's on!!
Post #348802 1st Aug 2014 2:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
It does yes, slightly different sound to OE though.
Only difference between it and an OE relay is that it's a tad slower. Very minutely though.
Works perfect with a trailer etc too as well.
All in all 10/10
Post #348831 1st Aug 2014 4:46pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I wish to keep my traditional pointy lenses, but switch to LED indicators, brake/rear running lights & front parking lights.

Could somebody recommend where to buy 8 (inc 2 spare) LED bulbs, & the exact resistors needed (clicking flashing for indicators), so I can buy all at once. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #348873 1st Aug 2014 7:32pm
munch90

England 
legally you shouldn't fit led bulbs to standard lamps , hundreds have done it and it's up to you

you say you want to keep the pointy lamps , which take it are the standard fitted lamps , Rdx or wipac lamps look the same and are completely led so legal to fit and look the same, you may be thinking of the river runner led lamps which are flat ( I agree I don't like the look of them and prefer the standard lamp look

can't really see the point in fitting led lamps or bulbs then use resisters to fix flasher rate as your putting the same load back on wiring etc , better to fit a led flasher unit that will fix the flash rate and is direct replacement and no wiring , fitting resisters you got the wiring to do plus the extra joints to play up and corrode .

also one problem I had with led bulbs fitted to puma defender is when foot was on brake I could turn ign off and take the key out and it kept running , take foot of brake and engine would then stop , can't remember what make they were
then changed to complete led lamps

might be worth checking this when you or others fit led bulbs to stop/side lights
Post #348905 1st Aug 2014 10:00pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Quote:

legally you shouldn't fit led bulbs to standard lamps

Glad someone else said it and not me!! Thumbs Up

After the last Peterborough show I got a rather irate phone call from a non customer of ours.

Apparently we had sold him a load of LEDs, some were not working and the flash rate was wrong.

I calmly explained that he had the wrong company as we do not sell them!

As for the non working LED we explained that it might be just swop wires on his bulb holders as LEDs require the correct polarity unlike filament bulbs. To correct the flash rate he would require the purchase of either a different relay or ballast resistors. I did not bother mentioning the ILM which the OEM provides LR with.

By this time we had managed to work out which company had sold them to him. However he was not a very happy bunny when I asked if the company supplying them to him had explained that they were illegal for road use!

Brendan
Post #348907 1st Aug 2014 10:24pm
TD5_dan

2001 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
I agree proper LED light units are the way forward rather than replacement LED bulbs. I had LED sidelight bulbs in my standard sidelight lenses and they looked rubbish I have now upgraded to wipac standard size LED units and they are much nicer with a genuine improvement in light output. Only thing I will do after reading this is swap out the wipac relay for an RDX one to get rid of annoying trailer light 2001 TD5 110 County Station Wagon - sold
1970 Series 2A Station Wagon
1970 Series 2A hard top
1960 Series 2
1972 Series 3
Post #348922 2nd Aug 2014 7:39am
munch90

England 
my trailer light has never worked with the led flasher unit ive used for years , so fitted a buzzer which I prefer as to see a light working on the dash you need to be looking at the dash and not the road

legally as far as I know you can have a light or buzzer

I didn't like the flash rate of the rdx unit , looked to slow ( still within regulation speed ) but I thought it looked old fashioned , so went back to my old unit hat can also take the load of standard bulbs
Post #348927 2nd Aug 2014 8:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>