Home > Technical > suspension choise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lacrits68

Sweden 
suspension choise
Hello!

I wonder what modification to suspension is requierd to house 35''s? Im currently building an 130 tdi for longtravel use,

I like to create an vehicle that have "soft" and comfortable to drive and ha good cargo handling capabilities.

any help here?

Click image to enlarge

//Jan
Post #347972 28th Jul 2014 5:26am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
why 35s?

both mine on 35s run +2" OMEs Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #347979 28th Jul 2014 7:38am
newhue

Australia 
35's, long haul travel, with weight, and a Tdi, would perhaps benefit more from changing diff ratios than too much else. No expert on Tdi's but I often travel with a 110 on 33's, a full load, and all the usual Tdi engine twigs and it was struggling to do more than 110 km/h, and slowed to 80 on the hills.
Also overly lifted defenders with weight can be anything but relaxing touring. A 35" is a big wheel, and keep in mind when touring one doesn't do the hardest off track because there is a lot at risk. Not sure how much you have done, just a couple things I have noted touring with other defenders.
I'd build the truck and do the suspension last. That way shock valve ratings can be considered, and spring compression rates decided for load and comfort.
Defer std 130 fronts are 225lb/in, 15.5", rears 330lb outer + 140lb inner = 470lb/in, 16.5". I run 33" and have 17" front and 18" rears wound to standard spring rates. It keeps the truck at un laden height when it at GVM, 3.5T. No need for longer travel shocks of bump stop tinkering. My Defender and travels
Post #348918 2nd Aug 2014 4:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Timo K

Finland 
Everything is a compromise.

Build it up so you know the final weight, then set up the suspension. Do anything else and you'll have to tweak it in the future.

Also, really think about if you really need 35's. On a Tdi you're probably looking at serious engine or differential mods to be able to keep any sort of reasonable speeds on motorways. For overland/touring stuff those kinds of tyres are just not needed, unless you travel with several vehicles with the intent of "off roading".
Post #349013 2nd Aug 2014 3:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1