↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Appalling Set of Events - Warranty Work & Courtesy Car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Fox

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Appalling Set of Events - Warranty Work & Courtesy Car
So my brand new MY14 90 XS SW let in (quite a lot!) of water into the rear bucket on the heavy rain we experienced on 19/07/14. I had a quick look and determined that it was coming in through the rear off-side wheel arch. I dried it out to prevent damage to what I was carrying but left a little in place to assist diagnostics.

Having purchased the vehicle from Shukers in Shrewsbury, I called them up and ask that this be repaired. I told them that I was going to be out of the country for a week the following week and so they could have the trunk for the whole week, without inconvenience, as long as someone could drop me at my partners place of work once I delivered the truck to them. After a needlessly lengthy discussion it was agreed that they could do that.

Truck was delivered, I went on holiday for the week and informed them that I would be back on the 26th and if the work was not completed by then I would need a courtesy car until it was.

I arrived back and called them midday on the 26th with a view to either collecting my repaired truck, or picking up a car/truck to use in the meantime. I was told that the repair work had not been started, and would not be done until the 29th. I was a little disappointed that it had not been done inside the 5 days I left it with them, but appreciate that they might have been busy so asked for a car to keep me working in the meantime (my family are farmers, and the truck is one of 2 which are used daily to do light goods duties). I was told extremely abruptly that I was not entitled to one and that by the terms of the LR warranty Shukers didn't need to offer me any kind of alternative transport while my faulty car was being repaired. I clarified this in no uncertain terms and was absolutely disgusted. Eventually, and only after much insistence that I hoped this wasn't the case, I was offered a 10 year old defender which I could come and collect at the end of the day.

At this point, I contacted Land Rover Assist and asked if there was anything they could do. The extremely helpful lady confirmed my suspicion that the LR warranty policy includes something call "walk in warranty" which covers individuals returning the vehicle for repairs themselves (rather than it being recovered) and in the case the dealer should then supply a car from stock or arrange one with a hire company. Within 45 minutes I had a call from enterprise thanks to LR Assist, and took delivery of a car to use for up to 48 hours.

My truck was ready for 18:00 on the 29th and I collected it and left the courtesy car with Shukers. When I asked for a work-list of what was done, I was told I would get one by email the next day. I did not. I still don't know what they did, or if they also attended to any recall notices which apply to my truck (I know of at least one which does).

I was contact by the customer service team at the dealer yesterday and asked what I thought of their service. When I said I thought it was appalling, I was called by today by the service manager who agreed that they are under no obligation to provide me with a car whilst mine it being repaired under warranty and whilst he apologised for my "distress" everything was as it should be.

I would like absolute clarification from LR CRC as to whether the dealership is correct and if LR feel that they have done right by my custom.
Post #348760 1st Aug 2014 1:09pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Shocked That is horrendous!
Post #348762 1st Aug 2014 1:13pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
In all honesty this does not surprise me. Some Dealerships are all smiles when you are purchasing a vehicle but are the exact opposite when you return it.

I have found that when you have a problem with a Dealership by pass the lower life forms like service managers, in fact by pass all mangers, who most of the time are having difficulty getting there head out of there ars* and instead contact the Dealer Principal all main dealership's have one, you will be amazed how quick your problems are solved when you get the Dealer Principal involved.

Last edited by gilarion on 1st Aug 2014 1:50pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #348772 1st Aug 2014 1:47pm
munch90

England 
this is why I would never bother taking anything in for warranty work

I buy something then never set foot in there again

I know when you buy something it should be right but I would rather do it right myself
Post #348773 1st Aug 2014 1:49pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Dealers vary widely in their aftersales service. If you want a raise this with LRCR then it may be worth a PM to Mike to point him in this direction.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #348786 1st Aug 2014 2:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lukev01

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
You do seem to have been unlucky.

When I arranged for some warranty work to be done (water inside front light lenses), the first thing the dealership did was ask if I would need a courtesy car.

Since I arranged for the work to be done 4 weeks later, there was no problem at all in providing me with one. 1970 Series 2A 88"
Post #348788 1st Aug 2014 2:21pm
schuee

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
My truck has been in for warranty work on several occasions, and everytime Duckworths have offered me a courtesy car, and choice of vehicle on some of them, when you think of how much you have paid for your Defender you should receive better service than this from a main dealer!
Post #348794 1st Aug 2014 2:43pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hello The Fox,

Firstly let me apologise for your experience. It goes without saying that this falls below the standards that we expect from our dealerships.

In short, if your vehicle is in for warranty work, then yes a courtesy car should be provided if required. I am sorry that for whatever reason this was not the case.

Should you have any further issues please do not hesitate to contact me and I will do all I can to make sure the whole process goes seamlessly with as little inconvenience to yourself as possible.

Many Thanks

Mike
Post #348795 1st Aug 2014 2:59pm
Jim_Bean

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Just a quick note. I took my MY13 110 in to Shukers for some repairs and warranty claims last month. When it needed to go back in the following week Shukers picked my 110 up from my house at 8am, gave me a VW Polo for the day and then returned the 110 to me at home at 6pm.

It sounds like its a bit of a lottery with the courtesy car.
Post #348810 1st Aug 2014 4:10pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Mike@LandRover wrote:
In short, if your vehicle is in for warranty work, then yes a courtesy car should be provided if required. I am sorry that for whatever reason this was not the case. Mike

Mike, are you sure of that? Below is an extract out of LR warranty policy, and I read that as dealers legally having no obligation whatsoever to provide a free loaner during warranty work. If they want to do so, it is at their discretion, and of course it then is a nice gesture to the customer. I guess it all boils down to the dealer/customer chemisty....
Eric

The Land Rover Warranty excludes liability for any lost time, inconvenience, loss of transportation, or any other incidental or consequential damage you (or anyone else) may incur as a result of a defect covered by this warranty.
Unquote You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #348819 1st Aug 2014 4:52pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
In the UK, if you are having warranty work carried out on your vehicle then a courtesy vehicle will be provided, may that be via the dealership or Enterprise.

Many Thanks

Mike
Post #348820 1st Aug 2014 4:54pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Mike.. You talk some crap... My two year old claim is taken so long due to the dealer and bodyshop not offerong a car of any type.
JLR has just lost the sale of a new D4 comm from me. Friggin flag waving nupties. 35 years of ownership and talked to like i dont exist... 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #348872 1st Aug 2014 8:32pm
The Fox

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I've now received a copy of the workshop report. None of the outstanding recall work was done whilst it was with them, despite at least one recall going out since I collected the truck.

I also received an apology from Phil@Shukers, who clarified in writing that what they did was normal and hoped I would return to them.

I've been offered a land rover experience trip by way of compensation. JLR pay for these, not Shukers, and JLR were superb, Shukers were not. I am not interested in compensation from a party which was not at fault.

Mike, when I forked out £30+ for this truck with a dealer I expected a certain level of service. JLR seem keen to offer this, but if the dealers which carry the brand do not who are they accountable to??
Post #349419 4th Aug 2014 10:37am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hello,

All feedback we receive is passed onto the dealerships.

Each dealership run their own business and are a separate franchise to Land Rover. When an issue arises with a dealership I make sure the details are passed on to the Dealer Principle, Regional Managers etc.

If you have a direct issue with a dealer I would always recommend speaking to someone higher within the business whether that be the service manager, sales manager or dealer principle.

Many Thanks

Mike
Post #349421 4th Aug 2014 10:42am
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Staggering. It absolutely amazes me that JLR allow their brand to be represented to customers in this way. From a number of recent posts it sounds as though many are the same and offer similar levels of terrible aftersales service. Of course, it is not just JLR who have this problem - I recently had an exceptionally poor experience buying a brand new Audi through a main dealer. Perhaps JLR dealerships are taking the view that once the sale is made they can forget about offering any level of customer service, but that seems a rather large oversight in respect of repeat business? Perhaps they are just not interested in selling to the same person more than once? Not a great business model if that is the case! I suppose their is also a posibility that dealers just don't like Defenders. Don't like selling them, don't like servicing them, don't like repairing them, because they are more difficult and problematic to diagnose and deal with than the more modern models. Normally there is a certain level of 'natural selection' in these things - if you receive terrible service from a company, you simply don't use them again. If that company offers terrible service to all its customers, it has no customers left and so goes out of business (or is forced to change its ways). But car dealerships seem to be somewhat immune from this because they have a constant stream of new business which is generated for them by the manufacturer (JLR in this case) through their product development and marketing. Some customers will also continue to use their local dealer even after receiving poor customer service because it is their 'local' dealership and they need the convenience. It is clear that a number of JLR dealers are doing some significant damage to the JLR brand, particularly in respect of attracting repeat business. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #349426 4th Aug 2014 11:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>