↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Modern day Highway Code
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
Modern day Highway Code
Please can someone point me in the direction of a modern day Highway Code. Preferably a legal version!

Speed in a 30 mph zone? For 30 mph read 50 mph

For the two second rule on a motorway read 0.2 seconds

Traffic Island in middle of road with left pointing arrow means you can pass on either side.

Turning fight off a major road means you are entitled to mount the pavement on the drivers side of the vehicle you are driving so that you save fuel by cutting the corner.

Rush hour traffic? Well use the VIP lane, it is sad about the 6" rise to get onto it and why are those silly people walking, I mean actually walking in the VIP lane.

Give way sign at the end of a minor road joining an A road used to be marked by a double dash white line at the edge of the main road. Sorry I forgot it is now the single white Line down the middle of the main road.

Please can someone point me in the direction of the modern Highway Code as it is obvious my edition is out of date!

Brendan
Post #348503 30th Jul 2014 11:27pm
munch90

England 
can't believe the amount of undertaking on the motorways . going to billing show I couldn't believe the way some are driving
Post #348506 31st Jul 2014 12:08am
Maris Widgeon

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
This will all come to an end when we are sat in the back of our driverless cars.
What an exciting prospect that's going to be!
Post #348515 31st Jul 2014 7:01am
pob1968

Sounds like the private hire minicabs manual 110 Hardtop
Post #348517 31st Jul 2014 7:26am
ken

United Kingdom 
Apart from being unlawful in the UK Undertaking works well in other states and with the huge multilane motorways it will become more comon same as turning right on a red light (read left for UK) works so well

the current HYC is so out of date , this country is so far behind in roadcraft I drive all over the world frequently and its a PITA to drive in the UK

At last the UKSL from SCW trucks will be moving from 40 to 50 although BRAKE dont want this its a blinkered atempt to stop the mindless overtaking by cars
Post #348521 31st Jul 2014 7:43am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
As a country we either need to allow undertaking on motorways, or teach people how to drive on them. I often drive the M25, with all it's multimillion pound extra lanes, result, 80% of people in lane four and five, lane two and three empty. So a complete waste of all those millions on the extra lanes. Pointless

Andy
Post #348529 31st Jul 2014 8:15am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Roundabouts:
1. Use of:

1. Lane discipline:
When wishing to take the '3 o'clock' exit at a roundabout, it is permissible to get in the left hand lane and travel two abreast with those getting in the right hand lane - circumnavigating the roundabout. At the pinch point on the exit, it is permissible to accelerate and ensure you get in front of the right hand lane traffic ONLY IF you are driving a BMW. If your car is not a BMW then you must attempt to almost remove the rear quarter panel of the car that was in the right hand lane, and sound your horn as though they are in error.

2. Indication:
It is not permissible to use your indicators at roundabouts. To do so would create certainty on your intentions. Despite being in the right hand lane, ANY action may be taken by being in that lane without indicating any intention to take any of the exits at ANY time without indication. You may therefore completely circumnavigate the roundabout (180 degrees) without indication of your intent. Indeed, even if you miss your exit, you may proceed in that fashion. It is incumbent upon other road users to understand your destination. Drivers of Honda Jazz vehicles are permitted to waiver from their current lane to a lane of their wish, and then back again before their intended exit. Now left.
Post #348531 31st Jul 2014 8:20am
munch90

England 
1. Lane discipline:
When wishing to take the '3 o'clock' exit at a roundabout, it is permissible to get in the left hand lane and travel two abreast with those getting in the right hand lane - circumnavigating the roundabout. At the pinch point on the exit, it is permissible to accelerate and ensure you get in front of the right hand lane traffic ONLY IF you are driving a BMW. If your car is not a BMW then you must attempt to almost remove the rear quarter panel of the car that was in the right hand lane, and sound your horn as though they are in error.

I used to get this nearly everynight coming home from work

my van looked old but not standard engine and you could see them look and you could tell who was going to do it
I would keep revs up a bit ready , hold on handbrake as soon as they moved I would go and keep them inline with rear panel turn in at last minute making them go right round roundabout again , I loved it
Post #348540 31st Jul 2014 9:22am
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
There is an interesting scenario in central Southampton with 2 lanes , the left hand one is a bus/taxi lane only but there is a left turn access road for the shops ....... so I indicate left and turn in across the bus lane only for the taxi that is 2 car lengths behind to get on his horn. I am not sure the highway code has this scenario covered but I may be wrong, not sure what else I should have done ?
It does legitamise undertaking if you are a bus/taxi.
Post #348547 31st Jul 2014 10:11am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
munch90 wrote:
can't believe the amount of undertaking on the motorways . going to billing show I couldn't believe the way some are driving

Anyone who can be undertaken should already have pulled-over a lane to the left. If you're undertaken it's a sign that you are lane-hogging.

Lane hogging is now an offence http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23713732 Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #348559 31st Jul 2014 11:18am
munch90

England 
NOT EVERY ONE IS LANE HOGGING

you could be coming up to overtake a lorry , there is still enough room to get a car though and they push out in front of you

what do you then pull out at the last second to overtake a lorry ? or stay out in lane 1 min extra

there tw4ts

90% of crashes are from lane changing on motorway ( yes I know they should look better but we are human and Censored happens )
Post #348564 31st Jul 2014 12:02pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
dual carriage way reduces to single lane;

during rush hour where traffic is bumper to bumper ensure you have white lines running directly under your car when you're about 100metre from lanes merging so nobody can get past you and hopefully everyone behind will back up in right hand lane only.

when travelling in the opposite direction ensure you only use right hand lane for the entire 1mile plus and if you pull out from a side road ensure you move immediately into the right lane even though you can't see any parked cars (and never have).
Evil or Very Mad
Post #348566 31st Jul 2014 12:31pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
What do you do....
... when you're towing a trailer on a generally clear motorway with three lanes, you're travelling at a steady 60mph, and you encounter a dimwit in a BMW soft-roader travelling at 52mph in lane 2. You check your mirrors etc and see that there is no traffic coming up in lane 3 (which of course you're not allowed in because you're towing) and nothing in lane 1 (which you can't use to pass because it consititutes "undertaking" and is therefore legally "careless" however carefully you do it).

Do you:-

a) think sod it, and overtake using lane 3, thus committing a traffic offence, or

b) think sod it, and undertake using lane 1, thus committing a traffic offence, or

c) think sod it, and close up the distance to less than the prescribed safety limit of two seconds and start flashing your headlights, thus committing a traffic offence since you're now tailgating, or

d) think sod it, and slow down so that you're now following the idiot in lane two at 52mph two seconds behind, but flashing your lights (which they either won't notice anyway or won't understand because they're too stupid/ignorant to know that you're not allowed in lane 3 with a trailer), in which case you're committing a traffic offence since you are now lane-hogging, or

e) think sod it, and pull in to (or remain in) lane 1, slow down to 52mph so you're not underaking, and waste quite a lot of your life due to an ignorant moron in a Beemer?

As far as I know, only one of the above options is actually legal.

This happened to me not so long ago, and I followed the clueless person for over 15 minutes on the M5 completely unable to get past legally despite empty lanes left and right. Eventually the driver did pull into lane 1, and as I passed she then accelerated to match my speed, probably unintentionally.

Maybe driverless cars aren't such a bad idea after all.
Post #348568 31st Jul 2014 12:51pm
Paddie42

England 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Belize Green
The "Park anywhere lights". Activated by pressing the button with a red triangle on.

Banging Head
Post #348572 31st Jul 2014 1:18pm
PCA42

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
Driving slowly in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway to turn right in good few miles time. Happens to me every time I drive home in Chester. Evil or Very Mad Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
1972 Series III 88" 2.25P
Post #348582 31st Jul 2014 2:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>