↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Problems wiring my blue sea relay / dual odyssey 1500 batts.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Riyo

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Problems wiring my blue sea relay / dual odyssey 1500 batts.
I have recently received Mobilcentres complete wiring set for dual Odyssey 1500's and the blue sea relay.

Today i have pulled out the LR battery and the front dash panel to see how im going to wire this and im scrsatching my head a little.

So

1) The original battery tray (black one at bottom of pic - does this remain in place?
2) Do i need to drill new holes through the floor of the battery box for this Mobilecentre tray?
3) WHich way round should the mobilecentre tray sit?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

4) I am planning on mounting the switch for the blue sea relay here

Click image to enlarge

and running the cable down into the battery box where the relay is - how do i feed the wire down and out, it seems the aircon unit is in the way..im struggling to find a route. My prewired harness has a plug i need to feed through the dash if im feeding from dash towards the batt box.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

5) My kit came with 2 300A Fuseholders, im planning on putting one off each positive terminal and also a big positive and negative BusBar...Anyone know what the use of these is for?, right now im just connecting a fridge to my setup through the bluesea fusebox...i guess these busbars are for things like amplifiers etc. that use more than 30A (max fuse size in the blue sea box)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Lots of questions but a few people on here have done similar so im sure theres some experts out there! thanks
Post #347560 25th Jul 2014 3:46pm
Myers

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Epsom Green
Hi

In answer to a couple of your questions

1. Yes the orginal battery tray need to be removed.

2. Yes you need to secure the new battery tray, if I remember correctly the holes don't match up, so you will have to drill new ones. Dont forget to fill in/seal the old holes.

3. The battery tray should fit in such a way that it makes a flat level base for the batteries to sit on.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to help regarding the wiring questions, Myers - Somewhere on Salisbury Plain
Puma 90 Hardtop (XS Spec)
Post #347598 25th Jul 2014 6:42pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
I used the Devon 4x4 battery tray - everything lines up nicely and the existing holes are used. I mounted the switch on the front of the seat box (behind my legs) and avoided pulling the dash to pieces. You hardly ever use the switch anyway. Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #347600 25th Jul 2014 6:49pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I used the devon 4x4 tray, the same as MobileCentre's tray

I fitted the switch to my undercubby, TBH, it's useful to see what the switch is doing sometimes, but it's rarely changed from auto so you might want to consider the front of the seat box.

here's a couple of photos of my installation ...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I have since bought wire numbering rings makes life easier when/if you do maintenance. Available from RS.

Yes, those lovely grey alcantara heated XS seats are still for sale Thumbs Up
Post #347671 26th Jul 2014 9:36am
ZeDefender

Just bear in mind that two of the battery terminals are wedged in under the seatbox top (see lower part of bpman's photo). It can take a bit of "encouragement" (bending stuff) to get them under there - I also used a piece of plastic to give additional insulation between the +ive terminal and the metal above:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

If it looks similar to bpman's it's because he told me how to do it :bow:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #347685 26th Jul 2014 12:46pm
Riyo

ok thanks, il give it a shot,

Zedefender would it not have been better to have the batteries the other way round so the positives are in the middle of the box away from the edging?

Been to halfords/maplin and B&Q today for bits and bobs...jeez the cost adds up when you need some tools too Smile

Still not sure if i will shell out for a battery cable crimping tool or just take the wiring to a garage and see if they can lend me one.
Post #347699 26th Jul 2014 2:54pm
ZeDefender

Can't remember exactly why it had to be like that but I think it had something to do with it being a LHD - everything is "the wrong way round". In retrospect, what I warned as a problem probably isn't one for "normal" RHD versions Laughing

*Edit* Actually I think it also had something to do with being able to disconnect the earth - you can't get to the terminals underneath.

*EditEdit* Crimping tools aren't expensive and I've used mine several times since I bought it Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #347719 26th Jul 2014 5:47pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
my one in the photo is LHD too Whistle A little work has to be performed on the earth lead to allow you to have both +ve terminals away from the seat box.
Post #347732 26th Jul 2014 6:50pm
ZeDefender

Ahh yes - now I remember Embarassed
I had the main earth terminal free so that disconnecting it would be straightforward. Otherwise it would be "trapped".
How have you done yours? Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #347735 26th Jul 2014 6:58pm
Riyo

As the holes do not match on the Mobilecentre battery tray i have put some aluminium tape on the underside and silicone sealed the holes, i did a mock fit of the batteries, relay and fusebox bracket and things dont look good, especially as the 2 x 300A ANL fuseholders need to be mounted somewhere.

I am considering fitting the fusebox under the drivers seat now instead but im not sure this is the best option.

On the switch front im still wanting to dash mount it but cannot seem to find a cable route to get the switch harness down to the battery box - il be match drilling the tray and doing some more cable route investigation tomorrow im sure its possible.

Thanks for the tips thus far - im just hoping this ends up a neat solution as the Mobilecentre kit was quite pricey but i thought it will save me some headache,,,in hind sight the Devon 4x4 tray, keeping the original 500A Mega and doing the wiring myself may have been a better option..

Is it ok to seal off the entire battery box, there were a few holes at the bottom to complement the breather hose hole lol...
Post #347748 26th Jul 2014 7:48pm
ZeDefender

Being a novice, I bought Tim's Mobilecentre kit but bought the tray myself (can't remember why). The kit had everything and the kitchen sink in it - I have loads left over for winches etc. Tim is also incredibly helpful on the phone. Only dilemma I had was about the battery orientation (as you know) but it made sense to me. It wasn't that hard for me so you'll be fine Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #347753 26th Jul 2014 8:32pm
Riyo

yeah the kit comes with plenty of bits, just got to figure it out Thumbs Up

im thinking i should invest in a rivnut tool for mounting some of these bits in the battery box now. Any recommendations on a good one?
Post #347758 26th Jul 2014 9:07pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
I've got the one regularly advertised in the landie mags. Great tool and they stock all the various rivnuts in Ali and steel etc.
Post #347807 27th Jul 2014 9:29am
airpusher

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Zambezi Silver
Now, I'm glad this came up.

I've been researching a system for myself and came to the conclusion of either BEP marine or Blue sea.

After reading a few threads and the fact the BEP 300a is pretty much unfndable I'm going with blue sea.

Does anybody have the wiring diagram of how they put it together. I've down loaded the blue sea one and the Mobilecentres LRO PDF but I still have a few questions before I dive in a buy the bits.

Cheers 2006 Defender Double Cab- Zambezi Silver
Post #348783 1st Aug 2014 2:14pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Heres mine. pretty straightfoward. the bluesea ACR simply connects both battery pos terminals

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #348797 1st Aug 2014 3:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>