↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Rear Passenger windows
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lrdxb110

United Arab Emirates 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Rear Passenger windows
Hey guys, I have a 110 and the rear passenger windows are manual not auto like the front windows so whenever I get into the car I seem to hear wind noise but nobody ever sits at the back and i don't get how the windows wind down themselves, just a little. Noticed them today so every time I wash my car I make sure they are up. I'm kind of worried if I do forget and there is a gap anyone can just stick their fingers in and pull the window down. It there any way of keeping them up?

Also whenever I was my car wash, water seems to get through the sliding windows right at the back even when there are shut all the way? Any idea's on how I can fix this?

Would these two issues be considered as warranty work?

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Cheers. Mr. Green '08 LR Defender 110
'08 Mini Cooper S - Sidewalk
'86 MB 500 SL
'79 MB 450SEL 6.9
Post #33234 29th May 2010 10:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
The self-unwinding windows is quite common. Mine do it. They basically fall under their own weight.

My wife's Polo used to do the same so it's not restricted to Land Rovers.

Some people have resorted to bungee cords around the winder mechanism to keep them up - others have removed the handle and tried to refit it so that 'fully up' = handle pointing down or back (on the basis that any rotational force introduced by the handle would keep the window up). I don't think that approach works.

The only solution would be to take the door card off and tighten the mechanism somehow.

Regards rear windows: I don't think you're ever going to seal them - it's a fairly crude design. Make sure the channels at the bottom are clear and they should self-drain. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #33239 29th May 2010 11:37pm
lrdxb110

United Arab Emirates 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Alan thanks for the feedback much appreciated. My mercedes '79 450 sel has manual windows in the rear and never had them unwind themselves. I think I will have a go and tighten the mechanism. Regarding rear windows I ll think I ll have to give them a good scrub since there is alot sand stuck inside. Thanks again Thumbs Up '08 LR Defender 110
'08 Mini Cooper S - Sidewalk
'86 MB 500 SL
'79 MB 450SEL 6.9
Post #33254 30th May 2010 8:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ralton

South Africa 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Re: Rear Passenger windows
lrdxb110 wrote:
Also whenever I was my car wash, water seems to get through the sliding windows right at the back even when there are shut all the way? Any idea's on how I can fix this?

Would these two issues be considered as warranty work?

Yes, your rear slide windows WILL leak when you wash the car - in fact if there's someone sitting in the back, when water is sprayed at the window, they will get wet.
I had the felt replaced under warranty to try and reduce the window rattle, but it only lasted about a month, now they rattle again. I've decided that's how they're supposed to be, and am leaving them to rattle, just like my gear lever does, and my rear seats... Wink www.ralton.co.za
Post #33264 30th May 2010 10:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1