Home > Wheels & Tyres > Spare tyre ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
cornish rattler

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 200 Tdi CSW Bronze Green
Spare tyre ?
Hi guys

As you know I am buying a set of 4 insa turbo special tracks next weekend / in that week and want to know are they a rotational tyre they look like they are but I am not sure but if they are what do you guys do as a spare.

A swap wheels round so all 4 tyres point the same way.

B buy a none rotational tyre but off road spec.

Smile Graham

1988 Defender 90 county 200tdi ( Beast )

Paul Walker 1973-2013
( I Almost Had You )
Post #325931 25th Apr 2014 12:18am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
It's a spare, it doesn't matter which direction it is mounted in, you can run it the wrong way around if needs be. Better that than running a different size/pattern/compound. Buy a spare of the same pattern at the same time, that way you know it'll be about the same size as the others.

I normally mount my spare as a nearside wheel on the grounds that the nearside is more likely to pickup debris from the side of the road and should be more likely to get a puncture. Sod's law does, of course, dictates that you will always puncture the side the spare is not mounted for ! I normally just repair the tyre in situ if I can as it's quicker than changing the wheel.

The Special Tracks are a copy of the Simex ET pattern IIRC so they are directional. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #325933 25th Apr 2014 3:08am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 
You could go for an Insa Turbo Dakar. Wink

Or just another S/T as the above. Thumbs Up Andy.

www.ajstyres.co.uk 01737 241370

Junction 8 M25 Surrey.
Post #325939 25th Apr 2014 7:07am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Carry two spares?

The sensible approach is as davew says above.
Post #325959 25th Apr 2014 10:05am
cornish rattler

davew wrote:
It's a spare, it doesn't matter which direction it is mounted in, you can run it the wrong way around if needs be. Better that than running a different size/pattern/compound. Buy a spare of the same pattern at the same time, that way you know it'll be about the same size as the others.

I normally mount my spare as a nearside wheel on the grounds that the nearside is more likely to pickup debris from the side of the road and should be more likely to get a puncture. Sod's law does, of course, dictates that you will always puncture the side the spare is not mounted for ! I normally just repair the tyre in situ if I can as it's quicker than changing the wheel.

The Special Tracks are a copy of the Simex ET pattern IIRC so they are directional.

Cheers davew, I wasn't sure if you could run the tyre the wrong way round legally or not as this would be the best option as it would only be used this way to get me home and get the punctured tyre fixed A.S.A.P. Wink Very Happy Graham

Paul Walker 1973-2013
( I Almost Had You )
Post #326130 25th Apr 2014 11:54pm
Interlet

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
I did wonder this when I bought my spare separately. And the fact is, the tyres a so incredibly chunky, even off road, you could fairly easily drive with the spare pointing in the wrong direction. There's going to be a very fine line between a scenario where the other three wheels require the 4th in the right direction to get out of the situation, and the 4th in the wrong direction being up to the job just as sufficiently.

They are so bad on the road that there will be negligible handling / economy difference either. I still loved the tyres though. They were more capable in the rough than me, and the vehicles I used them on put together. (At that time Rolling Eyes ) 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #326137 26th Apr 2014 12:49am
cornish rattler

Yeah I can't wait to get them now I keep watching off road / green laning vids on youtube as I think they are an incredible tyre obviously there come a time where even with these tyres fitted I will get stuck somewhere but that's why peeps fit winches which is what I will be doing at a later date Very Happy Graham

Paul Walker 1973-2013
( I Almost Had You )
Post #326219 26th Apr 2014 2:43pm
jimbob7

davew wrote:

The Special Tracks are a copy of the Simex ET pattern IIRC so they are directional.

Good post.
FYI,a lot of talk about running directional tyres on bike forums,quite often the argument is, "its the way tyres are made/laminated",the rubber is laid in a specific way that means running the tyre "backwards" could be dangerous.Although a vehicle that is naturally limited to 60mph (Defender Laughing ) is highly unlikely to have any issues,but if it were me I would use the spare as a spare and not a replacement,unless you get "lucky" and destroy the same "side" tyre. Fitting it passenger side tho is a good suggestion. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #326226 26th Apr 2014 3:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1