↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Salisbury axle - rebuild or swap?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Salisbury axle - rebuild or swap?
Hi Guys,

My rear Salisbury axle has a drippy nose- I suspect the seal is going, I have been quoted £800 to fix it which is, hilarious. does anybody know of any good guides or how too's?

The Haynes book of suggestions is as usual, vague and mostly unhelpful.

I know I need to be careful because of the crush washer and possibly upsetting the mesh of the pinion, but other than that and the apparently impossibly tight king nut what else is there to look out for?

The half shafts are fairly good, the diff end splines seem good, the hub could do with replacing, I have no idea on the condition of the bearings!

Another option I have is to swap the whole axle for a disk braked reconditioned version from Simmonites for £795 and then swap it myself (why change a seal when you can upgrade the whole axle for cheaper!)

What do people think?

Dog
Post #325716 23rd Apr 2014 10:15pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
mine is a little leaky too! i suspect it is fairly straight forward to change. so long as you don't crush washer any further! i think i would like to put a late td5 puma rear axle in, incase i decide i would like a rear ATB. also easier to work on! not sure how much they go for though and would also need different prop i suspect. My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #325724 23rd Apr 2014 10:32pm
shaggydog

From what I can tell....

Undo prop shaft, remove probably corroded split pin from castle nut, windy gun on castle nut and hold on tight, gently remove shaft, remove seal, clean and refit seal, replace shaft, finger tight castle nut, re torque castle nut and stop immediately on click, jack up rear wheels, rotate shaft and wheels in all directions to check for tight spots/nasty noises/play.

I have looked at TD5 rear axles but there is something in me that just thinks a Salisbury is the stronger axle.
Post #325728 23rd Apr 2014 10:43pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Salisbury diff is stronger than P38 diff (Td5/Puma).

The "4-Pin" Rover diff is stronger than P38 but has never been fitted as standard in an LWB rear axle so there's no easy direct swap.
Post #325730 23rd Apr 2014 10:51pm
shaggydog

Thanks Blackwolf Thumbs Up

In an ideal world would love to have Salisbury front to match the rear but I don't think I can justify that sort of mod at this point...

Anyway, anyone done a Salisbury nose seal before?
Post #325733 23rd Apr 2014 10:56pm
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
I have, on my Series 2a which has a Salisbury rear fitted.

I removed the propshaft and marked the position of the main nut.
Then made a tool to hold the flange steady (just a long bar with holes drilled to match 2 of the propshaft bolts.
Used a Halfords Breaker bar to loosen the nut, and carefully removed it, counting the number of turns to get it off.
Pulled out the drive flange.
Replaced the seal.
Refit drive flange.
Replace nut and count the number of turns to put it back, and tighten exactly to the mark I made earlier.
Refit propshaft.

That was 7 years ago, and its done a lot since without problem. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #325770 24th Apr 2014 8:20am
g-mack

United Kingdom 
shaggydog wrote:

Anyway, anyone done a Salisbury nose seal before?

not a Salisbury but same principle!!
 My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #326045 25th Apr 2014 7:56pm
Interlet

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
I have this dilemma in the back of my mind. For now, I think my Salisbury still has some life left in it (did find a few metal particles, going to drain again this weekend to fit new diff pan, so will be interesting to see if there are any more), but working on Salisbury axles are more effort than a Rover type, and a far more awkward diff to remove...

In my mind, it is a weigh up of ease of use, for repair and parts - the P38 Rover type, vs a stronger, yet more awkward Salisbury. Clearly, the P38 type 110 Rover axle was designed to be stronger than a front or 90 axle - so in general day to day activities, it's a non-issue, and it only gets interesting when off road. People always say Salisbury stuff is indestructible - but it isn't These things can still break, there just less likely to in extreme situations than the later type. But how extreme are most people planning on going? For casual Sunday P&Ps, are you really going to break a sweat that you are driving around with a P38 Rover type axle than an older military type? Probably not.

If mine starts to break up, I'll be sorely tempted, after price considerations, to look for the 2002-onwards axle. 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #326140 26th Apr 2014 1:14am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
I'm currently rebuilding 130 TD5 from HCPU to a Station wagon, because our Disco2 is not big enough for travelling in 4 people. I'll replace the rear Salisbury with standard Rover axle from Discovery 1, with Aschroft locker, 1:3,8 rack and pinnion wheels from KAM and some HD halfshafts. This combination is cheaper, than just a locker for salisbury. Rover axle with some upraded internals is much better than standard salisbury, and at least comparable to uprated salisbury. A friend of mine has nice Disco1 for offroad trophy events. He modiffied it with salisbury in front and rear and was repeatedly broking the internals. After switching back to modiffied rover, it is much better. And rover axle is smaller and much easier to maintain. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #326163 26th Apr 2014 8:24am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
And if ground clearance is important to you, then the salisbury hangs down more than the 110/P38 type one.

Having said that, if you start welding bracings onto the later 110 axle, as per the military wolf type, then you'll be in similar territory of ground clearance to a salisbury.
Post #326173 26th Apr 2014 9:14am
g-mack

United Kingdom 
MadTom wrote:
I'm currently rebuilding 130 TD5 from HCPU to a Station wagon, because our Disco2 is not big enough for travelling in 4 people. I'll replace the rear Salisbury with standard Rover axle from Discovery 1, with Aschroft locker, 1:3,8 rack and pinnion wheels from KAM and some HD halfshafts. This combination is cheaper, than just a locker for salisbury. Rover axle with some upraded internals is much better than standard salisbury, and at least comparable to uprated salisbury. A friend of mine has nice Disco1 for offroad trophy events. He modiffied it with salisbury in front and rear and was repeatedly broking the internals. After switching back to modiffied rover, it is much better. And rover axle is smaller and much easier to maintain.

so does a disco 1 rear axle fit without any modifications? My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #326189 26th Apr 2014 10:38am
diesel_jim

It will physically fit in yes,(just as a Salisbury will fit into the back of a 90 or disco or RR classic).....

But... I would say without any extra bracing welding onto it (the disco axle) then it wouldn't be strong enough for a 110

The proper 110 rover type rear casing is a lot thicker than a disco type

See if Mountain_man chimes in... Mark braced up a disco axle for his 110 project I think.
Post #326199 26th Apr 2014 11:31am
g-mack

United Kingdom 
now i think about it, it would probably need bigger spring mounts to for the larger 110 springs!! My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #326280 26th Apr 2014 8:17pm
diesel_jim

The spring mounts from 90 to 110 just swap over ; bolt spacing is the same Thumbs Up
Post #326294 26th Apr 2014 9:07pm
shaggydog

Thanks For all the comments guys Thumbs Up

Going to have a go with it and see how I get on.

Will be posting pics too to make a how too!
Post #326309 26th Apr 2014 10:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>