↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Where to go...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Setok

Finland 
Pickles wrote:
Whilst JLR will obviously be "listening" to the traditionalists to some extent, they are not going to be overly swayed by a group accounting for only 16000 units P.A....they will do what they think will SELL, and the Defender as we know it, is not "selling", so it's definitely going to be very different,...it has to be, or it ain't gonna sell,..it's going to face a lot more competition than when it was introduced in 1948.

Yeah, because Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, MB, VW and even Jeep clearly view the commercial markets as unimportant...

The reason the Defender sells in limited numbers is incredibly obvious: it's not sold in several key markets, it is barely promoted, it needs a few updates in shape and size (which doesn't translate into 'throw away the whole concept') and it has suffered severely from LR's poor reputation for reliability.

I'm finding I'm not actually loyal to LR, especially if this latest stream of nonsense becomes reality. I'm more Defender loyal, and would be happy to go elsewhere if someone were to create an updated version that was a clear descendent, or bought the rights to it (like Caterham off Lotus). Pity Isuzu didn't continue their line.
Post #305712 6th Feb 2014 9:43pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
well put.

I like the lotus analogy - if lr can pull off an elise it would be worth all the uncertainty, just hope we don't have to wait that long...
Post #305788 7th Feb 2014 12:40am
NoDo$h

England 
What I find interesting is that many who profess their loyalty to the brand are driving 15-20 year old or older Defenders. Hell, my D3 is 5 years old and my Defender is 4, so as far as LR are concerned I'm not their best customer.

You're only loyal when you're buying. Discuss. Whistle 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #305794 7th Feb 2014 1:25am
RockJaw

United States 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
NoDosh wrote:
What I find interesting is that many who profess their loyalty to the brand are driving 15-20 year old or older Defenders. Hell, my D3 is 5 years old and my Defender is 4, so as far as LR are concerned I'm not their best customer.

You're only loyal when you're buying. Discuss..

Well loyalty requires more than one participant.

Loyal buyers need loyal suppliers.

If LR ain't selling what we want, well then it becomes real simple, we ain't buying.

Loyalty kind of stops working then right? ****CENSORED****
Post #305795 7th Feb 2014 1:47am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
NoDo$h, fair point, mine is 16 years old. Of course though, as Defender owners, we would like the new Defender if it's like our present one (that seems to be the consensus of opinion), but not if it is too sophisticated. I feel sure now that Mr McGovern is absolutely determined to take it upmarket - sort of a beefy, baby SUV. The DC100 looks far more beefy than the baby SUVs which will start coming out from the next few weeks. If you compare it to my favourite, the Taigun http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/ta...4-pictures then the little VW comes out looking like a 'hairdressers' car (no offence intended). But I don't think we're going to get a 4x4 that can be hosed out. There are just too few of us who want that to justify production...I think. Now left.
Post #305815 7th Feb 2014 8:35am
Pacific24

I think that the point to note here is that Land Rover have moved away from the utility/ military markets and, instead, have focused on SUVs for the masses.

A lot of the Land Rover Defenders I have seen on here are sporting alloy wheels etc. Some are even lowered, which kind of defeats the purpose of the Defender somewhat. Anyway, they have become fashion accessories to many buyers, polished and decorated rather than worked hard and replaced.

I think that it will be best to look elsewhere for a utility vehicle after 2015. Sure you can buy an older Defender and fix it up but the utility companies, military users etc won't be doing that. Instead, they will buy a utility vehicle that is fit for purpose.
Not a stripped out baby SUV.

Land Rover have chosen to focus on mass market SUVs and therefore have no need for a new Defender. After all, it isn't really the best vehicle for the school run in London etc.

I just hope Mercedes or Isuzu come up with a good utility vehicle which is tough, has good off road ability and can tow 3500kg plus. And not a pick up.
Post #305916 7th Feb 2014 3:40pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Although I think it is correct that on the forum many/a majority of the vehicles are slightly blinged-up motors with alloys etc, I don't think that is really representative of the majority of Defenders on the road. You still see a lot of 110 hardtops and 130 cherrypickers especially, and of course many farmers still buy 90 pick ups.

Landrover have moved/are moving away from the utility markets, that I agree with, however I think the reasoning is that it is perceived as damaging to the premium image of the Range Rover etc to produce a proper working commercial vehicle. The irony is that Mercedes Benz seem to pull off that trick without any issues, as do Ford and various other companies.

Each Defender sold makes money for the company, especially the higher spec models, I mean do you honestly think the radio costs anywhere close to what Landrover charge for it?

You can guarantee that when Landrover kills off the Defender (and at this stage I hope it is just given a dignified send off and left at that) someone (I suspect Mercedes-Benz) will absolutely move in to take over the market that Landrover have abandoned. They seem to be able to sell Unimogs (another vehicle which has undergone little change in over 60- years of production) in small numbers without any issue. I wonder why Landrover can't...or should I say won't. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #306026 7th Feb 2014 10:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
A uni mog is £70 to £120 grand and the same for g wagon they don't need to sell many.

They even did a brabus unimog.
Post #306071 8th Feb 2014 1:21am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
At the moment I don't have a replacement vehicle I can buy once the defender goes out of production. I need a short pickup that can tow legal max and such a thing doesn't exist. Yes I can get pickups that will tow but the shortest in just over 5m not nicely under 4m. This only really leaves me with trying to keep increasingly old and over time less and less supported vehicles on the road and with land rovers reputation for excellence is a 20 year old tdci really going to still be operational never mind a 40 year old tdi? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #306092 8th Feb 2014 8:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123