Home > General & Technical (L663) > Latest News 01/03/10
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Latest News 01/03/10
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/...er/247844/

Land Rover has started work on its replacement to the iconic 62-year-old Defender.

The British firm has formally been working on the Defender replacement, known internally as Project Icon, for two weeks after parent company Tata Motors signed off funds for a full engineering and design programme for the car.

Project Icon has therefore been granted a place in Land Rover’s product cycle and is due to be launched in 2014.

At this stage, Land Rover is working out the positioning of the car and how it will be marketed. After successfully reinventing the Range Rover brand with new Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Range Rover LRX models, Land Rover is turning its attentions to sorting out the positioning and model line-up of its core off-roader range.

Land Rover insiders have admitted the brand needs a greater clarity and some customers find its current model line-up confusing. The Land Rover marque will be reinvented with Project Icon, a car that may not last 60-years, but will be the company’s flagship for at least the next 20.

Project Icon is unlikely to take the Defender name for production, although many of that car’s looks and values could be carried over to the new model. The car had previously been tipped be underpinned by the firm’s T5 steel platform chassis. Although capable, Land Rover feels it will be too heavy going forward in the future.

Land Rover’s Electric Rear Axle Drive (ERAD) technology, which it displayed in a Freelander in 2008, could make production in Project Icon to help improve economy and reduce emissions.
Post #25541 1st Mar 2010 8:34pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Wink hmm 2014. Add a year's delay, add 2 for soak testing all the teething troubles and mine will be 10 years old. Thumbs Up

Perfect. I'll have just about finished spec'ing it up by then. Maybe I'll just get one of the last Defenders before they cease production or maybe I'll keep mine. Very Happy One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #25568 2nd Mar 2010 8:13am
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Re: Latest News 01/03/10
AndrewS wrote:
...some customers find its current model line-up confusing.

Small, big, bigger.
Van, not van
Basic, less basic.
Any combo of the above

Simple Smile
Post #26306 8th Mar 2010 9:41pm
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Was told by a reliable source that the new vehicle will share a common chassis with the D4 replacement, so not the T5 chassis.

Going towards lighter for the D5 or whatever it will be called, with the new defender sitting on the same chassis, possibly why its slipped to 2014......
Post #26329 9th Mar 2010 9:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Looks like it maybe a Green Hybrid Shocked
Post #26362 9th Mar 2010 4:35pm
discocuzzy

England 
Im just going to keep mine.....once out of warranty i may look around for a TDV6 converstion if one is reliable enough and doesnt cost the earth! You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #26369 9th Mar 2010 7:02pm
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
discocuzzy wrote:
Im just going to keep mine.....once out of warranty i may look around for a TDV6 converstion if one is reliable enough and doesnt cost the earth!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

What ever Steve, thats until something new and shiney comes out and Matt takes you shopping with a hangover again.
Post #26371 9th Mar 2010 7:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
Higgers wrote:

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

What ever Steve, thats until something new and shiney comes out and Matt takes you shopping with a hangover again.

Rolling with laughter Is there a better way of shopping than that Rolling with laughter
Post #26444 10th Mar 2010 4:12pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Just been going through some sales brochures for the 90/110 and later Defender,which date from 1987 up to the present. In all of them Land Rover are at pains to point out the benefits of the box section chassis to the Land Rover. Indeed they are happy to point out how their chassis is better than that used by other manufacturers. Some of the brochures have a two page spread on the chassis and it's benefits to the Land Rover. Seems a little ironic that all the pointers indicate that the proposed replacement for the Defender will not have one. No doubt the sales brochures will inform us as to how this is a benefit. I also noticed that up to the brochures for the Defender, the brochures for the 90/110 featured all commercial Land Rovers. Farmers in hardtops, engineers in the back of a 110 hicapacity pick up, pick ups with bales of hay in them etc,etc. There was a seperate brochure for the county models, which also laid great emphasis on the strength etc. of the chassis as the basis for the vehicle. Even the brochure for the Puma Tdci Defender lays great emphasis on the chassis and it's benefits to the vehicle. Unlike earlier brochures the emphasis on hardtops, pickups etc is replaced with passenger aimed vehicles. How things have changed from my 1990 turbo diesel hardtop to my current Puma Tdci 110 station wagon! Anyway if the chassis does go I for one will miss it. Nodoubt there will be literature aplenty to tell me why this is beneficial to me. When the coil sprung 110 came on the scene some people thought that the series 111 was the last real Land Rover. Will some of us say the same about the Puma and it's chassis? 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #27633 21st Mar 2010 8:56pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Current suggestions in the LRO mag include 3 sizes, starting at 100", 3 engine options including the TDv6 and the Electronic rear drive, onboard diagnostics, plastic wings etc Mike
Post #27657 21st Mar 2010 10:25pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
May LROI has an article on it. A "hybrid" generally sharing the same (min 100) chassis with Disco 4 & RR.
Post #27992 25th Mar 2010 12:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1