↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Which roof tent ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Ridgeback defender

Which roof tent ?
HELP !!! I am lost in the miriad of ' Land Rover Roof tents '. I have a defender 90 which I shall be dressing up in a 2.0m Patriot mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................... I have approx £1000.00 to spend on a roof tent, and I want an under awning for my 2 beloved (but slightly mad) Ridgebacks to sleep in. Which one, any recommendations......................
Post #218091 11th Mar 2013 6:03pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Maggie Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #218156 11th Mar 2013 8:59pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Maggie, if it is going to rain.

Andy
Post #218161 11th Mar 2013 9:05pm
Guy

United Kingdom 
Hello mate

For that sort of money you're looking at a second hand top of the range RT, or a cheaper 'copy' brand new.

I'd recommend the former myself. Mine is an Eezi Awn 1.4 T-top, T-top refers to the pull out mechanism which creates an extended canopy over the ladder which can then have a 'day room' zipped on to it. The best brands are Eezi Awn, Howling Moon and Hannibal.

Here are some pics of my Disco. The 2nd picture shows me camped next to a 110 with a normal Eezi-Awn, so it still has an add on room but without the extra space afforded by the T-top extension.

Hope this helps.

Click image to enlarge

[/img]
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

[/img]
Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  
DINGO - '99 Discovery 2 V8 with 300Tdi transplant, chawton white. Repatriated from Australia and expedition prepped.
**FOR SALE**
SHARKY - '06 Discovery 3 HSE Auto, bonatti grey. SOLD.
GEORGE - '99 Discovery 1 300Tdi Auto, willow green. Daily driver, travel companion, part of the family! SOLD.
PINGU - '96 Defender 110 300Tdi station wagon. SOLD.

Dream LR - 130 pop top station wagon camper.
Post #218162 11th Mar 2013 9:06pm
walfy

I have the Howling Moon tent on my D3. Wouldn't change it for anything. For my purpose I needed a RTT with an under room. This way it keeps the Mrs happy as she needs room to spread out.

I went to a few shows looking at all tents to ensure that we made the correct purchase. A maggi wouldn't of suited us. Hence why it didn't even appear on my list of tents to look at.

If you go down the HM tent route and purchase a 1.4m tourer, I have a spare zip on room going cheap. Brand new, never fitted Thumbs Up 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #218165 11th Mar 2013 9:11pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Re: Which roof tent ?
Ridgeback defender wrote:
....I have a defender 90 which I shall be dressing up in a 2.0m Patriot mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................... I have approx £1000.00 to spend on a roof tent, ....

You will struggle to find a GOOD quality new roof tent for a £1,000

A Patriot rack for a 90 is 2 m long whereas hard shell roof tents are about 2.1m long.

Can not remember the length of a fold over tent.

You do NOT need a roofrack to carry a roof tent.

2 preferably 3 roof bars will suffice. Roof bars will save you money and weight up top. If you already have a Patriot rack consider selling it, buying 3 roof bars and you will have a few quid to put towards your new roof tent.

Brendan
Post #218180 11th Mar 2013 9:43pm
walfy

Why sell a roofrack he already has? A rack has more uses than a couple of roofbars. If he's spent the sort of money required to purchase a Patriot he would of looked at other uses.
I don't get peoples obsession with economy. We drive bricks on wheels. If you are worried about economy buy a eurobox 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #218182 11th Mar 2013 9:46pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Here's a Hannibal for reference - it has the longer fly sheet to which the under room can be connected. You'll also notice that I have a Hannibal awning that cantilevers out of the side of th truck - you can put a room under this too

I have a clip so that the ladder can be tucked up out of the way and the full room size can be used when the ladder is not in use

A roof tent out of the back of the truck also makes good shelter when you're living out of the back door

The picture does not have the 'windows' properly open on the roof tent

Click image to enlarge
Post #218192 11th Mar 2013 9:58pm
Ridgeback defender

Evening all, first of all thanks for taking the time out to reply. I have decided on a 2.0m roof rack because it should still allow me additional rack area to strap the dogs down? or if the RSPCA stop me additional luggage Whistle

I have looked at all the 'branded tents' and this maybe where I need to step back and save some more tokens or raid the Bank of Plastic. I have seen several non branded, lesser know brands, ebay etc...... and they afford me the buy it now fix (patience is a virtue ?!?!?)

The eezi awn has caught my eye, but for the 1.4 T Top I am looking at £1,400.00 of the queens pounds, or does anyone know where to point me for a reputable dealer who maybe open to offers in these hard pressed economic times ?

Oh and I like the look of the 'Patriot' straight Ali finish on my Defender 90 Orkney grey with xtech wheels ! The tackle tart that I am !
Post #218196 11th Mar 2013 10:04pm
Ridgeback defender

I did look at the roof bar option and considered the mantrec roof bars x 3 but did not offer the flexibility that a rack can IMHO.
Post #218198 11th Mar 2013 10:08pm
Ridgeback defender

Photos of 'readers tents' and the carrying vehicle would be good.......................

Liking all the pics so far Thumbs Up
Post #218200 11th Mar 2013 10:12pm
walfy

Although not on a Defender. Here's my setup on my D3

New Forest, camping weekend

Click image to enlarge

Bridgnorth, offroad weekend

Click image to enlarge

Ready for weekend away.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #218202 11th Mar 2013 10:23pm
Ridgeback defender

Nice set up on the disco........... the branded tents do look the part!
This Land Rover life does not come cheap does it Shocked
Post #218210 11th Mar 2013 10:39pm
walfy

Mine has earnt it's money. Been to Morocco twice, Croatia plus various trips in the UK. Worth every penny it cost me 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #218212 11th Mar 2013 10:40pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Ridgeback defender wrote:

I have looked at all the 'branded tents' and this maybe where I need to step back and save some more tokens or raid the Bank of Plastic. I have seen several non branded, lesser know brands, ebay etc...... and they afford me the buy it now fix (patience is a virtue ?!?!?)

There is normally why non branded items are often cheaper then the more widely know/respected/reputable brands.

The main reason is normally down to quality.

Now if you look at the cheap, non branded rooftents on places like ebay, have a good look at the quality and look carefully at the technical specifications.

Most of the cheap roof tents etc are made from pvc lined fabric. Now googled what pvc fabric is used for. To give you some examples try waterproof outdoor table clothes. Try lorry curtain sides. Yes pvc fabric is waterproof I will not argue with that. However another important property of a roof tent is breathability of the fabric. Breathability of pvc is rather on the low side!

A non branded cheap awning on ebay has changed its name 2 or 3 times so far this year after it has been pointed out that they are infringing on trade names! They are making a lot more money in percentage terms and real cash terms then people selling the genuine items. Yes we are offered these awnings so I have a good idea what they are paying for them.

Brendan

PS Most of the regular forum users are aware we sell tents, Patriot racks etc Razz
Post #218213 11th Mar 2013 11:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>