↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Land Rover not displaying DC100 in this counrty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Honker wrote:
You're all mad Very Happy , much as I love my Defender it is definetly at the agricultural end of the vehicle spectrum and offers a relatively unique driving experience today - and for the future. Quiet and refined are not words I'd be using in the same sentence as defender, unless prefaced by not. It's an iconic anachronism from a bygone era that shouldn't really exist in the modern motoring world, but that's why it's so much fun and why I enjoy driving it Very Happy

Stu

Go drive a modern lorry all day, that will show you just how quiet the Defender really is! Seriously, there are far, far worse vehicles then a Defender out there.
Post #167655 11th Sep 2012 5:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
22900013A

lrmaniac wrote:
22900013A wrote:
This confuses me as I have done all that in my 110 with no problems, I have driven it for hours on end, driven from Eastern Germany to the UK in one sitting, and simply had no problems with it. It is perfectly comfortable, quiet, spacious enough for 5 adults, great sound system...and thats an off the shelf vehicle with no mods. The only thing I wish they would improve is fuel economy.

Thumbs Up ... Last July/August went from Lisbon to Hendaye-Calais-Dover-Birmingham-Liverpool-Southport-Dover-Calais-Paris-LaRochelle-Asturias-Lisbon....6500km (aprox. 4040 miles)...No problem! Confortable enough, zero problems... Fuel consumption was indeed a little more than planned.

I imagined that if had done this trip in a RR, it would have been better (probably would have not get so tired after driving 1050km in one day)...but hey, the RR costs more 140.000€ than the Defender!(here at least!)

If the next Defende can be more confy, that's fine...But keep it a Defender, not a something-between because for that we have the freelander and the evoque...

When I saw you when you were here you certainly weren't deaf nor did you guys look exhausted. The drive can't have been that bad then eh? Thumbs Up
Post #167658 11th Sep 2012 5:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
I agree ran my defenders to Aberdeen and back for the last four years, it's not really about the comfort or noise etc but the rubbish build quality for a premium price, they could leave it as is but improve the corrosion issues, leaks, bad panel fit, sound proofing, rubbish securty etc etc. Imagine if the defender had a galvanised chassis, galvanised cappings, decent paint, water tight doors and so on, surely they would sell an awful lot more, at the minute anyone who buys one spends alot of time and money improving and protecting various things out of necessity and when they have finished the car is tons better and usually tons heavier Laughing Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #167664 11th Sep 2012 5:39pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I agree with the above. They could make a good vehicle even better. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #167675 11th Sep 2012 6:29pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
willy eckerslike wrote:
I agree ran my defenders to Aberdeen and back for the last four years, it's not really about the comfort or noise etc but the rubbish build quality for a premium price, they could leave it as is but improve the corrosion issues, leaks, bad panel fit, sound proofing, rubbish securty etc etc. Imagine if the defender had a galvanised chassis, galvanised cappings, decent paint, water tight doors and so on, surely they would sell an awful lot more, at the minute anyone who buys one spends alot of time and money improving and protecting various things out of necessity and when they have finished the car is tons better and usually tons heavier Laughing

Here here!
Post #167710 11th Sep 2012 8:16pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
I fear the good old days of actually improving a product are all but gone.
Manufacturing more cheaply and marketing new products is much more attractive - hence the DC100 Rolling Eyes Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #167714 11th Sep 2012 8:20pm
22900013A

willy eckerslike wrote:
I agree ran my defenders to Aberdeen and back for the last four years, it's not really about the comfort or noise etc but the rubbish build quality for a premium price, they could leave it as is but improve the corrosion issues, leaks, bad panel fit, sound proofing, rubbish securty etc etc. Imagine if the defender had a galvanised chassis, galvanised cappings, decent paint, water tight doors and so on, surely they would sell an awful lot more, at the minute anyone who buys one spends alot of time and money improving and protecting various things out of necessity and when they have finished the car is tons better and usually tons heavier Laughing

Yep, totally agree with that. Build quality does not match asking price I'm afraid. My Fiat Panda was better built...
Post #167755 11th Sep 2012 10:11pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
It's funny though - pretty much anything seems better build than a Defender but when I'm driving it I still feel like a king Mr. Green

Mine's in for a ridiculous amount of warranty work at the moment and they've given me a new Passat for the week. It's shiny, comfy, fast, silent and does infinite mpg even at 100 mph... and I hate it Rolling Eyes Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #167758 11th Sep 2012 10:21pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Will the DC100 or whatever its metamorphosed into have the command seating position?

That is one important aspect for me. Discoveries & most RRs have that, Ewoks don't IIRC. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #172085 30th Sep 2012 5:29pm
chalky

Well, I keep jumping across from the Disco3 forum hoping to find something worth reading about ?
It's pretty clear that the Defender "a road biased tractor" as it was once explained to me by a chap at Solihull In the SV department, still manages to provoke so much cult appeal !

I'll be honest, speaking from my own experience ! My brand new 08 Defender was the worst vehicle I've ever driven !
I'm not basing my experience on 1 bad purchase, I've had umpteen Defenders, I've driven them with things hanging off them that most people look at in books or magazines, I worked on them whilst serving in the forces at Solihull after the 1st gulf war developing weapons mounts and turrets, lock out suspension, Mazda 5:0 litre engines ! A bloke I served with drive one up Ben Nevis !

Ask some of our Australian counterparts what it's like driving the corrugations in a Defender ?

I've driven them and not been able to stand up straight when I've got out, I've crashed them and had things impaled in me as a result !

I've got a pair of rose tinted spectacles that I put on when I'm driving along some of the best surfaced man made roads in the world, when I used to nip to the shop in mine it felt great, 20 years of driving them resulting in what some call the pinnacle of evolution for a Defender ? Leaking swivels, wipers that don't work, leaking transfer box, hand brakes that don't work, ECU's constantly in limp home mode, numerous bungled attempts to get software issues sorted out, rivets missing from the body, corroded chassis from the factory, and no passenger safety? I wouldn't want my family involved in another accident in a Defender !

A nice to have for sure, but a big ask in this day and age. DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #179428 27th Oct 2012 11:47am
BigWheels

What's obvious it seems, is buyers/owners luck is a lottery. So far, as far as Defender limitations go, I'm still a winner.

What would I have otherwise? A Jeep Wrangler maybe. I wanted a Defender, warts & all, for its & my personal manchild reasons. They are gas guzzlers (but my mileage is low). They have no modern driver/passenger safety - but driving in rough terrain, as they were designed for, would an airbag not be triggered un-necessarily (are D3s, D4s & RRs really driven to the extremes Defenders are?).

Military Defenders are by necessity utilitarian. I'm sure your XS CSW is way more luxurious, than the army mecha you worked on & drove in. Defenders are also comfort modifiable, for relatively inexperienced bolt-on & bolt-in home DIY. I do wish for an auto or servo assisted clutch sometimes though driving through rush hour traffic.

The price is steep for new or even good condition Defenders, I agree. What they need is re-invention, like the VW Beetle, (BMW Mad ) Mini, Fiat 500, & Mercedes G-Wagen. Even the Wrangler is being gentrified some (& has auto gears).

Solihull needs to think along those lines...uniqueness, retention of iconic appeal & appearance, modernity.. & maybe a different designer to their SUV man.

LWB Defenders will eventually be replaced by Rangers, as Ford is as familiar to fleets & farmers as Massey Ferguson, John Deere, Iveco etc. Land Rover is still part of the UK's working vehicle history & heritage, for LR to discard that in favour of short term booms, in a (still) large & competitive SUV market where brand allegiance matters little, will lead to a point of no return in (say) 10 years. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #179454 27th Oct 2012 1:58pm
22900013A

chalky wrote:
Well, I keep jumping across from the Disco3 forum hoping to find something worth reading about ?
It's pretty clear that the Defender "a road biased tractor" as it was once explained to me by a chap at Solihull In the SV department, still manages to provoke so much cult appeal !

I'll be honest, speaking from my own experience ! My brand new 08 Defender was the worst vehicle I've ever driven !
I'm not basing my experience on 1 bad purchase, I've had umpteen Defenders, I've driven them with things hanging off them that most people look at in books or magazines, I worked on them whilst serving in the forces at Solihull after the 1st gulf war developing weapons mounts and turrets, lock out suspension, Mazda 5:0 litre engines ! A bloke I served with drive one up Ben Nevis !

Ask some of our Australian counterparts what it's like driving the corrugations in a Defender ?

I've driven them and not been able to stand up straight when I've got out, I've crashed them and had things impaled in me as a result !

I've got a pair of rose tinted spectacles that I put on when I'm driving along some of the best surfaced man made roads in the world, when I used to nip to the shop in mine it felt great, 20 years of driving them resulting in what some call the pinnacle of evolution for a Defender ? Leaking swivels, wipers that don't work, leaking transfer box, hand brakes that don't work, ECU's constantly in limp home mode, numerous bungled attempts to get software issues sorted out, rivets missing from the body, corroded chassis from the factory, and no passenger safety? I wouldn't want my family involved in another accident in a Defender !

A nice to have for sure, but a big ask in this day and age.

Sounds like you got a proper "Friday car" there...

I agree that paint and rustproofing need serious work, but the other problems you mention have not been an issue at all on mine or countless other Defenders. It has always started and driven correctly, NEVER been in limp mode, no leaks, no problems with wipers etc...seems some are better built than others. Mine does have a few rust spots which I will be bringin to my dealers attention soon.
Post #179628 27th Oct 2012 10:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123