↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Engine noise defender 300 Tdi
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Morea

Engine noise defender 300 Tdi
Hey. I'll put some videos of the engine from a friend to see what you think. We are like crazy behind the noise TATATATATATATATATA there no way to find its origin. He did all this:

This engine was made in the wake of the sound, adjustment of tappets, proof that the plucked and drop nozzles 1-1 did not change the sound, also removing the vents, and disconnecting the positive injection, even so was still ringing the same TATA Thinking it would be plain rod or something, change this by another motor also recently rectified aprobechando same, manifolds, turbo, new clutch, new motor plugs, new accessory belt, pump new direction, well, because once started following the same sound, exactly the same. With mounting, remove the accessory belt, see whether it can be a pulley, nothing we break the top of the distribution, is ahead of a tooth, nothing, no delay, you change brake depressor, nothing, adjustment of tappets to perfect 0.20, remove air filter anything, let go with 1x1 pulled the injectors, no, we changed the injectors by the discovery of 300 that goes round your injectors, and tested on this engine and all.

Sorry for my English if not understand well what you mean. Thank you. http://www.clublandrovertt.org/index.php?a...ype=avatar
Post #149373 9th Jun 2012 1:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
yostumpy

Ok, I've had a similar noise on my 300tdi for 3 years, and it got progressively louder, i changed the fuel lift pump, and several fuel filters, checked the tappets, but it persisted. By chance I had to perform an emergency stop, .... but I didn't, as the brakes wouldn't stop the vehicle. They were ok for normal driving, but when pushed hard they were very poor. I knew the brakes were good, so I started to investigate. I found 2 small hairline cracks in the brake servo booster, where the mastercylinder bolts on with 2 nuts. The cracks were on the booster, next to the bolts, and there was a tell tale spot of rust/flaking paint. it was hardly visible, so i thought I'd clean it, so put some spittle on my finger to clean the crack, but the spittle dissappeared instantly. The servo was cracked and was sucking air, hence the poor brakes. I will ordera new one, but in the mean time a very successful bodge ensued. I cleaned the cracks with some cloth, then cut thin strips of gaffer tape, and placed over the cracks, the next layer was wider, and the third, wider still.. Well this has cured the brakes, as it now stops on a sixpence, and I can lock all four wheels. BUT what has this got to do with your noise?? well as a consequence of my sticky tape bodge, my engine has become as quiet as a sewing machine, (ok, a noisy sewing machine). I can only deduce that due to the 2 cracks in the servo, it was loosing most of its vacuum, so the brake vacuum pump, (located on the side of the engine behind the lift pump) was working hard continously, thus making this racket. A few days later, a lorry pulled up next to me, at some traffic lights, and there was a whoosh as the air brakes realeased air, then a very familiar clack clack clack! as they recharged, then it stopped.
So take a look at your servo for the cracks, and try an emergency stop. I looked for 3 years for the noise, and wasn't prepared to replace every engine component till I found it, as the noise seemed to come frome every where, but mainly fuel pump area. Also if you had an EGR fitted ,and that has been removed, check the small hose that is 'T' 'd off the servo hose is plugged, as you'll loose vacuum there as well. Wink
Post #149816 11th Jun 2012 8:57pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
ISTR a similar sound on my old 300tdi Discovery leading to replacement of the vacuum pump. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #149868 12th Jun 2012 8:07am
Mountain_man

Wales 
Also cured a similar noise on a 300 tdi by replacing the servo vacuum pump. You need to get a long solid bar (long screwdriver for example) and place one end to your ear and CAREFULLY move it round the engine placing the tip on different components till you identify where the noise is loudest. Bit like a stethoscope. The other obvious culprit may be a hole in the exhaust manifold gasket.

Good luck, let us know if you cure it.
Post #149871 12th Jun 2012 8:25am
Morea

Thank you very much. He informs my friend and we'll look this week. http://www.clublandrovertt.org/index.php?a...ype=avatar
Post #149881 12th Jun 2012 9:37am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
yostumpy

Yes I think its the vacuum pump making the noise, but DO check the servo body first. I was going to replace my vacuum pump a while back, but couldn't be sure thats what it was. Fixing the leak has fixed the noise, and the pump is now quiet, By all means replace the pump, but check the servo first.
Post #149925 12th Jun 2012 4:30pm
Morea

Solved, it was depressing. Many thanks to all Thumbs Up http://www.clublandrovertt.org/index.php?a...ype=avatar
Post #157631 24th Jul 2012 8:10am
yostumpy

Morea wrote:
Solved, it was depressing. Many thanks to all Thumbs Up

WELL? What was it after all? Whistle
Post #157755 24th Jul 2012 7:01pm
Morea

The problem was detected with patience and with a noise detector, now time to go ride and look good. When you have finalized it will notify you. http://www.clublandrovertt.org/index.php?a...ype=avatar
Post #157760 24th Jul 2012 7:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1