↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > DC100 to become entry level Land Rover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
pom wrote:
I think the dc100 could cause a problem for the defenders, IF it is successful like the disco3 was over the disco2 then expect some serious pain on the residuals front. Who would want a tractor when you can have a proper motor ? The arse will fall out of the defender market, certainly the nearly new, ones.

Don't think I'd roll the dice on ordering the last of the Puma's.

Pom

can't see how you could compare a DC with a defender....its a gaylander in disguise NOT a replacement for fender.

I'll not worry about depreciation, mines getting paid for me Whistle and i'd like to keep it for a long time. i'd buy a DC even in gaylander form as they are good motors.

And i'd have a D4....just not out of warrenty.
Post #138347 10th Apr 2012 8:55pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
It all comes down to the size of the DC100...... if its the same as lets say a Rav4 then no comparison, if however its equivalent to a 110/130/D4 then yes it will kick ass. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #138358 10th Apr 2012 9:04pm
cradgebank

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
AndrewS wrote:
It all comes down to the size of the DC100...... if its the same as lets say a Rav4 then no comparison, if however its equivalent to a 110/130/D4 then yes it will kick ass.

My thoughts, exactly Thumbs Up Richard

Either a 90, 110 or 130.
Discovery 5
Post #138401 11th Apr 2012 2:06am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
pom wrote:
I think the dc100 could cause a problem for the defenders, IF it is successful like the disco3 was over the disco2 then expect some serious pain on the residuals front. Who would want a tractor when you can have a proper motor ? The arse will fall out of the defender market, certainly the nearly new, ones.

Don't think I'd roll the dice on ordering the last of the Puma's.

Pom

I think you under estimate the unique versatility of the Defender and how much it is still in demand for so many different users. I don't think the DC100 will have a brochure showing 30 odd different body options in fact I don't believe the DC100 was ever designed to take over from the Defender role.

Continued demand has made the company find new ways to keep this unique design on the road. They keep saying production will end but always manage to find a way to keep it going by reclassifying it as commercial or finding a suitable engine with lower emissions. The fact that it has gone on decades longer than it should have is testament to it's desirably to so many differing work place situations and the leisure sector of late.

Companies and private buyers are understandably very loyal to the brand, there is a huge following that goes back 60 years - what other vehicle has so many magazines on it, you don't think these mags would survive if you took the Defender out of them, they wouldn't have even started without them Wink

As said the Defender will be continued to be built abroad when production has ceased in the UK and values will hold very well, people recognise the abilities of the vehicle. Look at second hand values now 10K for a nice 1996 model Shocked How much is a P reg Discovery worth. It's not a monocoque car that has a limited use that survives on an impressive image which when out done by a new design crashes in value, the Defender is THE most versatile vehicle on the roads which due to it's design can be kept on the road indefinitely, that's value and that's why everyone says they will continue to sustain high values. LR recon over 50% of them are still around, not bad after 60 years. (75% optimistic!) If the Defender was to lose significant sales and depreciate it would have done it along time ago Wink It will always be desirable and retain it's following.

Somebody said this Forum wouldn't exist in ten years time, this forum will still be going in 30 years time, the vehicle really will be a classic then Very Happy Look at The Series2 Club forum it's one of the most successful and continues to grow at a frightening pace, Thumbs Up Many, many people world wide love the real Land Rover Series/Defender models...

Last edited by Zagato on 11th Apr 2012 9:05am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #138413 11th Apr 2012 7:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Straight from the heart Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #138427 11th Apr 2012 8:56am
ken

United Kingdom 
the DC100 I've seen in the flesh is the same size in reality as a 90 its not a RAV4 size
Post #138430 11th Apr 2012 9:02am
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
My wife has a Rav4 and I love it! Fantastic car. There, I've said it now and am prepared for abuse Laughing 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #138572 11th Apr 2012 9:55pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Problem there is no demand. There's only 20000 made a year. Hilux sell over half a million. If you ran land rover what would you do??? It would be nice for it to continue.

I have an idea form a company and buy the rights. You could make a few quid and keep an icon alive.

Or has this been done before? for the people that couldn't deal with over complicated evil coil springs.
Post #138592 11th Apr 2012 10:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12