↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Car magazine DC100 cover story
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Car magazine DC100 cover story
December's issue of 'Car' magazine has arrived today and adorning the front cover are the DC100 concepts. I've just read through the article, which is a reasonable read. What's interesting is how defensive the article is of the concept, and the quotes from Land Rover spattered throughout are the same. Effectively saying that none of the negative responses from existing owners have any relevance at all, which may well be the case. I picked out a few particular bits, which I thought highlighted this theme:
Quote:
'Look at the reaction' says [Gerry] McGovern. '90% is positive, 8% is sitting on the fence, and 2% is kill McGovern. But all the resistance is about off-roading and farmers, and that capability is a given, we're not walking away from that.'

Quote:
'And then they say "why isn't the front upright anymore?" Well, it's sloped back because it's more aerodynamic. It's more functional!

Quote:
DC100 gets more conventional hardtop body and smaller, off-road friendly wheels and tyres. It helps those with smaller imaginations.

I don't mind the concept. I was a bit unsure when I first saw it, but it has grown on me quite a bit. But it doesn't meet my expectations of what a Defender replacement should be. The thing I really don't get about the concept is the way that it doesn't fully reflect the core values of the Defender. Particularly in terms of simplicity and absolute fitness for purpose. The 'Car' article has an entire section about DC100 Tech', including auto-sensing Terrain Response, auto disengaging rear driveshaft, on-demand tyre spikes etc etc etc. But, for me, this isn't the point of Defender. I'm a complete technophile and gadget fan, and at 24 I don't think I could be described as an 'old traditionalist' either, but I just don't quite get it.

I always thought this was going to be a really tricky point for Land Rover, and I think it probably is proving to be so. Particularly in creating enough of a distinction between Discovery and Defender. Undoubtedly, there is going to be some overlap, but somehow they have to be kept separate with their own identities and not compete for the same market sector. It's certainly a challenge. But I think that it's exciting times for Defender and I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops and what we ultimately get. One thing's for sure - lots of people really care about what happens here, or atleast have a view on it, and there aren't many vehicles in production today that would achieve that! 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #100395 16th Nov 2011 9:06pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
'Look at the reaction' says [Gerry] McGovern. '90% is positive, 8% is sitting on the fence, and 2% is kill McGovern. But all the resistance is about off-roading and farmers, and that capability is a given, we're not walking away from that.'

Just what planet is he on? The figures are more like 90% negative, 8% on the fence and 2% like it. The Landrover facebook page just posted a pic of the blue DC100 from LA, there were 100 replies, only two of which were supportive. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #100398 16th Nov 2011 9:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
22900013A wrote:

Just what planet is he on? The figures are more like 90% negative, 8% on the fence and 2% like it. The Landrover facebook page just posted a pic of the blue DC100 from LA, there were 100 replies, only two of which were supportive.

Just filled in the Facebook survey myself... I wasn't terribly positive Twisted Evil Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #100400 16th Nov 2011 9:23pm
CR

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
" It helps those with smaller imaginations."

So..............

Big wheels = big imagination and I thought it was Big wheels = small d**k

funny funny funny Rolling with laughter
Post #100501 17th Nov 2011 11:14am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
CR wrote:
I thought it was Big wheels = small d**k

For God's sake don't let Killer90 hear you say that:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2cpav83.jpg
Whistle Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #100504 17th Nov 2011 11:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1